Crazy day

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

racingjason

Big Fish Tank..Small Fish Knowledge
Feb 7, 2005
I have some kind of cold and have lost my voice along with a fever and the usually cold symptoms. :sick: I still need to keep up with my tank duties so I went down to clean the pre-filter for both filters. I took off the pre-filter and guard from the canister and washed them out really well then decided to prune some plants and re-position the filter outlet tube. After I was done I started the filter and was adjusting the outlet when I looked down and saw the filter guard and pre-filter on the shelf. :eek: I reached in to the tank to attach it and watched in horror as a small cory was sucked in! My first instinct was to stick my finger over the inlet which resulted in a loud "thunk" so I grabbed the cord and yanked it out of the wall. I quickly stripped the filter down and found a confused but healthy cory swimming around next to the media baskets!!
Since the filter was apart I did a nice cleaning and put it back together before I moved on to my next task... moving 2 discus and 3 clown loaches from QT to the big tank. The discus were easy to handle since they tend to hide near the filter but when I went to move the clowns I only found one. I know they are awesome jumpers but I couldn't imagine they took off while I was catching the other fish, I thought I had seen them a little earlier in the day but was not sure. I decided to empty the driftwood/plants (barebottom tank) and caught the one loach, I was about to start looking for them behind the tank when something caught my eye... 2 loaches about 1" away from my foot!!! They were hiding in a piece of the driftwood and decided to bail out onto the heated tile floor!! I tried to scoop them into the net but as we all know they are slimy as can be so I was forced to "roll" them into the net. I was really concerned but they are 100% fine after an hour in their new home. :clap:

Last edited:

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Wow, what a fiasco. . . I always double-check my driftwood since my bristlenoses will hang on to it for as long as possible when I try to take it out. At least everything turned out okay and nobody got stepped on.

racingjason

Feb 7, 2005
I use the driftwood to get the bristlenose out of one tank. :D Lucky for me the bristlenose fry in that tank took off and left the wood when I pulled it out.

patoloco

De seguro no sabes lo que dice aqu
Oct 20, 2005
Costa Rica
wetpatoloco.tripod.com
racingjason said:
...I was forced to "roll" them into the net... :clap:
Don't know if I'm nuts or whatm but this soubnds like a WWE episode... hehehe

racingjason

Feb 7, 2005
patoloco said:
Don't know if I'm nuts or whatm but this soubnds like a WWE episode... hehehe

They had me in a sleeper hold. :joke:

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
Jason,

Don't fret! While I was replanting my 36g a few months back I could not find my two of my three clown loaches ANYWHERE. I figured they had dug themselves a hole under the 40# rock I had in there, so I decided to wait until I was ready to move it.

An hour went by and I finally got to that rock -- NO LOACHES! Now I was freaking and I looked over the driftwood I had put in an empty bucket when I started on the tank (an hour ago!) and said, "OH NO!!" I could just make out clown coloring through a few slits!

Anyhow, I put the driftwood back in the tank. Waited five minutes or so, picked up the wood and gave it a shake.

Out popped Ophelia and Juliet, madder than hell. They were in the driftwood (I had no idea there was a hole in there they could get into) and out of water for at least an hour and no ill effects.

Whew! I waited a few days after that before I moved them to the 75g. Maybe they recovered real quick but *I* needed time to recover from that :D

Roan

racingjason

Feb 7, 2005
Thanks Roan, even though they are up to no good in the main tank I still had some bad feelings about the ordeal. We all know how easy they can develop ick when they get stressed. (provided there is a little bit of ick around) The discus tank is pretty warm so hopefully ick is non-existent.

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
racingjason said:
Thanks Roan, even though they are up to no good in the main tank I still had some bad feelings about the ordeal. We all know how easy they can develop ick when they get stressed. (provided there is a little bit of ick around) The discus tank is pretty warm so hopefully ick is non-existent.
Hrm, I don't think stress plays much with ich when it comes to clowns. They'll get it stressed or no.

You'll feel better in a few days and they'll be begging for food in no time ;)

Roan

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store