Cribbin with Mi Kribs

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Mystroe_TheMyst

AC Members
Dec 16, 2002
australia
Visit site
i thought i was a rather catchy title, you must have one otherwise you get no replies...

I'm getting some Kribensis tomorrow (not sure what the plural on that is) and I'm in "NEED TO KNOW" mode..

so what are the thing I need to know...i've read up on them...but incase they missed somthing from aquariacentral or another site perhaps, somthing that would be vital for keeping kribs..and plz don't say 'water' lol that woulda been funny though...

and if you keep kribs please tell me what kind of diet they are on and what special things you do for them if any

thanks alot

Jayhawk

AC Members
May 12, 2001
Lawrence, KS
Tim Bo's link is very good. You can also search here or over at www.apistogramma.com (go to forums then search both the General dwarfs and AFrican) for more info. on Kribs.

You know I have a pair in my 20 long. They're eating flakes, frozen bloodworms, sinking shrimp pellets...basically, in the females case, she'll eat anything, anywhere, anytime. The male is still nervous and spends most of his time hiding in caves and makes quick forays out to quickly eat food then jumps back into his cave (the big coward - he's twice the size of the tank's butterfly fish and nearly 3 times the size of the female).

Water params are highly lenient (hard to soft, pH 5.5-about 8). Temps 75-82 are safe.

I've heard they can be shy so some fast dithers are good, but they might kill them during breeding (might not though per several board folks I've heard from). Like I said, my female is one of the most outgoing fish I've ever seen. My male is shy.

I really, really like my tank right now. 3 cherry barbs as dithers (tough enough to survive and too big for the butterfly to eat), one butterfly fish, one bistlenose pleco, and my pair of kribs. The tank is always active in some way (the barbs play in my HOB filters water flow, the butterfly prowls the surface early morning and at dusk, the female krib is all over the place, the spastic pleco makes the rare appearance, and you never know when the male krib is going to dart out in some heroic/cowardly charge/retreat action.

Now, if only the female can get that male krib interested (she has displayed for him a few times...but this only seems to confuse him).

Eric

Mystroe_TheMyst

AC Members
Dec 16, 2002
australia
Visit site
Thanks for that...I'm sure Kribs sound like real fun...Might be getting a pair tonight...What should I look for exactly? Maybe I should read the page b4 I ask questions hey...I am now doing so..well looks like i'm gonna grab a pair..and what exactly a dithers? i'm figuring they are like just other fish thier to give flavour and interest to the tank but are not the "main fish" as i would put it...

Thanks again and i'll keep you guys posted on how they are going once I get them

WOW i'm half way thru reading..well finish up, but i must say THANKS ALOT, Jay was right your link is very good. Thanks yous all around...

*5mins later*

I've just read it and it was quite informative, i know now exactly what to do and to look for...and i know what the dither is now...

thanks again

Last edited:

Mystroe_TheMyst

AC Members
Dec 16, 2002
australia
Visit site
OK I GOT SOME!

the tank has got.....

2 Kribensis (male and female) definatly 1 female
2 algea eaters
misc. dithers (local caught riverstream platy's)
they are feeders and pregnant..so xtra treat for kribs

heat is at 79'F or 26'C and there is lots of water flow from filter and air pump+air stone...

yeah they are so far swimming together and the tank is a bit merky atm I've upset the setup from making caves etc. but should be all sweet and dandy, so far have accepted small amounts of food, I always thought and was told too feed them a little as soon as possible to get them used to the food and locations...

well hopefully all goes well

thanks for your help

Last edited:

Jayhawk

AC Members
May 12, 2001
Lawrence, KS
Congrats on you new kribs & other fish. Platys make very good dithers - I've used them lots of times, and as you said any fry they have are great for your cichlids.

Man, I'm jealous your kribs are swimming together! The most swimming together mine do is when the male darts out and chase the female for a short distance before he goes and hides again...

Mystroe_TheMyst

AC Members
Dec 16, 2002
australia
Visit site
yeah they are lingering around each other...and the male did a wierd shake thing...only once though, but so far it is looking really good =) plus there are only 2 caves so they end up being together anyway..they are so active at the moment...

but we shall see wont we

Thanks for the congrat's :D I shall keep you informed

Tim Bo

Does fuzzy logic tickle?
Apr 11, 1999
Copenhagen, Denmark
hjem.get2net.dk
Congratulations. It sounds like things are working out relatively smoothly. I am a little concerned about how well the tank is established. Is this tank well cycled? If not, then make sure to take a close look at the ensuing activities of the fish. Any sluggishness, or general 'laziness' may indicate toxic concentrations of ammonia... Water changes will help alleviate the problem. Keep us posted.

Those Kribs will be thankful for the plays' kids and will happily make a snack out of them!

Mystroe_TheMyst

AC Members
Dec 16, 2002
australia
Visit site
thanks....no need to worry about the water quality, they are going just great...I had a crayfish in there before if i mentioned him before. So a little left over food on the bottom, nothing to worry about (not old food, won't be so easily to kill them) they are very fond of each other..but the male nips at the side of the female..is that normal?

other news....the platy in there whos a male type thinks he is big knig and is challenging the male krib lol and the male is targeting him so they are great dithers, i'm thinking this will help cause the male is indirectly protecting the female from this platy who is about 2/3 the males size.

I will do a water change soon, in a few days and do another gravel clean...but I doubt their is anything wrong with my water quality, but thanks for the concern....and* all acting normal no laziness

thanks again

Mystroe_TheMyst

AC Members
Dec 16, 2002
australia
Visit site
Hmmmm My female seems to be doing the dance of love in front of my male krib...she has been doing so for day now and all he seems to be doing is to try and get stuck into the food in the gravel....i've raised the heat slightly to induce mating...but are so far the signs good? He doesn't seem at all interested..

I thought that it was the male who chased the female for some lovin'

any thoughts

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store