Cribbin with Mi Kribs

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jayhawk

AC Members
May 12, 2001
Lawrence, KS
I could well be wrong, but I thought with kribs it was the female who initiated spawning.

I wouldn't worry about it. My female still periodically displays for my male, and all he wants to do is chase her out of his territory...so I showed him, I rearranged the tank and made some caves he doesn't fit into comfortably just for the female...Things are now officially more peaceful in the tank.

Mystroe_TheMyst

AC Members
Dec 16, 2002
australia
Visit site
lol, what a awesome way of showing it...I've done the exact same thing except that I've made only 1 cave so they have to hide together....if you go back a few replies you'll find the link to some valuable information, but yes you are right, it is the female...whoops laps in concerntration...its about 2:30am I should've gone to sleep but there was this great movie on....but yeah she wants him, but he doesn't seem to want her...they will learn and i'm glad to hear that things are more peacfull

!http://hjem.get2net.dk/Best_of_the_Web/intropage.html

that link should work....that is the same page as previously mentioned...

will keep you up to date with everything..and hopefully within the next month they will become partners yeay

Tim Bo

Does fuzzy logic tickle?
Apr 11, 1999
Copenhagen, Denmark
hjem.get2net.dk
Excellent Jayhawk. If aggressiveness takes over adding many caves and making sure that some only allow one occupant can help out.

I thought that it was the male who chased the female for some lovin'
Both of them can get horny at will take turn initiating it though it is usually the female IME.
I'm glad you liked the page on Kribs, I wrote it a few years ago and desperately need to update it but just can't get the time. I just got an email from someone who has albino Kribs - 38 of them to be exact! Imagine that!! :)

Jayhawk

AC Members
May 12, 2001
Lawrence, KS
Tim Bo - Hey I didn't realize that was your page. It's great, and so is the ram page you have, too.

If my couple ever do formerly pair up to spawn, we'll have to see how they do. I have a trio of cherry barbs, a bristlenose pleco and an African Butterfly in there. I know your page recommended against other tank mates in 20 gallon tanks, but I'm hoping my tank being a 20 long (instead of high) might make a difference. I guess I'll just have to wait and see...

I'm glad I've had the chance to tell you how great those two pages are - I've always wanted to do that!

Eric

DIYMatt

AC Members
Oct 8, 2001
Minneapolis, MN
How big is your tank? I have a heavily planted 75 that had a pair of Pelvicachromis taeniatus (spelling?) a close relative of the krib or type of krib, I don't know which. The female turned all shades of purple and gold and danced all around the male daily. He just looked at her and sat there. I bought these fish as a pair and they were almost always together. I had them do this for over a year with no eggs to show for it. So, I thought he needed a little motivation. So, I bought two juvenile male kribs with the intention of getting females to go with the males and to go into another tank. I put these guys in tank with the taenitatus. That was just what he needed some competition! When the female colored up one of the male kribs came over to her and the male taeniatus chased him all over the tank. From then on he feircely defended his territory and I had many successful spawns in a community tank with them. They were awesome parents! Not a lot of fry would survive after the fry got about 1/8" long. The paents couldn't keep them all protected. Teenagers:) Sadly, I started feeding blackworms at an "experts" suggestion and lost the male (&4 other dwarfs) to some sort of parasite I guess. NO BLACKWORMS!!!!

Which raises a question I have always wondered about. Would the female remate? She is awesome fish. I thought I read they were monogamous.

Tim Bo

Does fuzzy logic tickle?
Apr 11, 1999
Copenhagen, Denmark
hjem.get2net.dk
Jayhawk, thank you for the compliment, I'm glad you could use it:)

The Butterfly fish should do fine with Kribs once they learn it stays at the surface. If not, you have a great excuse to get a bigger tank! The pleco won't be popular as he grows though.

DIYMatt, thank you for that interesting account! I almost want to put it on my webpage.
I've had bad luck a couple times with blackworms before too. I use them rarely but most fish absolutely love them, so when I get them, I rinse them daily and cross my fingers 50% of the time. Taeniatus I want to get more acquainted with but I don't have the space!

My guess is that she will remate - especially if she has lovers to choose from...maybe she just needs a good night out on the town this time!

Last edited:

Mystroe_TheMyst

AC Members
Dec 16, 2002
australia
Visit site
Yeah Tim Bo your site is really exellent, and DIYMatt I was thinking the same thing with adding the extra male, I think if he doesn't get interested soon then I will add another male in there, then take him out once they have nested or spawned...its from what i've heard a 18gal UK...24" long....

They are doing great, and I think maybe insted of adding another krib would it maybe help if I added some more colourful dithers so the male would get "jealous" and then take in the female...I just don't what a dead male krib on my hands if the one I currently have decides he wants some action...

I'm not real keen on adding another krib...how about a gourami or a paradise fish to induce the male to protecting what he thinks is his..(the female)

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store