Crushed coral is a problem waiting to happen

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

xsdbs

AC Members
Oct 16, 2006
crushed coral ? again

Hello, I am setting up my tank with sand like many here have suggested. I had c.c. in the tank and before I came on this forum and read several post about the c.c. had plans on using the c.c. mixed in with new sand but have since set up with sand only. I have a 150 gallon main tank with a 50 gallon refugium, my question is can I use the c.c. in the refugium or will this still create a problem for the main tank. Thanks in advance for any input here.

Kris04

AC Members
Oct 6, 2006
WA
I currently have c.c. but my question is how bad is it for me to have very fine c.c. (like sand grains) in my tank? is this still going to cause the same issues? i have no current issue with my levels but from reading the posts here is there something i am missing? is this an issue with regular cleaning of the tank or just if someone lets it go without cleaning it periodically? I am running three tanks currently with larger c.c. in my 55 and a 10 and then in another 10 i have fine c.c. i have not had issues with the levels. but could this cause issues with some fish if bottom dwellers? i don't have that currently as an issue but know some fish are more sensitive to harsher substrates.

scott foster

Who?SaidWhat?ToWho?Now.
Aug 11, 2006
barber4aO.B.Gyn.
I am getting mt cc out a little at a time with a bottom suction water change tube. It is working good but I do have the fine cc. Once I get it all out I wonder if I can put the tube in the aquarium all the way to the bottom and very slowly put sand in? Maybe just a pound a day. Not disrupting anything in the aquarium? What do you think Max?

blackwolfXKAV

Homo sapiens
Apr 20, 2006
New England Abroad.
Max said:
The only tanks imho that benefit from a c.c. substrate are ones that don't have fish. It would be very difficult get enough material out of the bottom of it to have any good affect.
Tom, if it's solidified due to ph reactions over the decades it probably has enough of
an anoxic area to serve as additional live rock! I'd have to say that's a new one for me.
can you explain?

perhaps, with a fishless system, we would be able to manufacture LR w/ a common material...

scott foster

Who?SaidWhat?ToWho?Now.
Aug 11, 2006
barber4aO.B.Gyn.
Max, I have almost got all the c.c. out of my tank. How would you suggest putting sand in there without causing a sand storm which I would think my fish would hate me for that. Also I understand what you say about c.c. but what if you did your regular water change with the vac. that sucks from the bottom. Would that not keep your c.c. clean enough?

Max

It's me
Jan 26, 2004
Mars
Visit site
Hello Scott sorry for the delayed responce. It's going to cause a sand storm period. You can reduce it's duration and intensity by turning off all of your pumps etc for severa hours. Also make sure that you don't have any power heads pointed at the sand bed for several weeks to months after the change over to allow bacteria to make it a bit stickier. I wouldn't worry too much about my fish your sand storm won't have the power of a small tropical storm. As an alternant move your fish to a q.t. for a day or two. Make sure you blow it off your live rock with a power head etc. after the change over.

scott foster

Who?SaidWhat?ToWho?Now.
Aug 11, 2006
barber4aO.B.Gyn.
When I get all the c.c. out I am gonna get about a 3 inch wide tube put in tank all the way to bottom. Pour sand in tube and lift tube very very very slow. I think I can reduce sand storm to a min. Thanks for the info about the powerheads I did not think it would take. Do you think I should leave a bag of c.c. in until then?

Max

It's me
Jan 26, 2004
Mars
Visit site
Yes, Sir I'd leave a bag or two in for a couple of weeks after the change over to giver your bacteria time to populate the sand bed.
hth
Max

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store