Crushed coral substrate for snail tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Otter

AC Members
Apr 2, 2009
I was Thinking of doing a snail tank with fine crushed coral substrate for a new fresh water snail tank.

Is there any problems with using this for my tank?

Anything special I need to do to use it rinse extra well or boil it?

Thanks,

John

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Shouldn't be an issue. I use crushed corals myself for the brig tank which also contains the ramshorns, MTS and the remaining nerites that I could not remove to another tank.

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
Crushed coral is a great choice for a snail only tank. My only issue is its color- the light color shows the wastes and any algae growth.

toddnbecka

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Cumberland, MD 21502
I mixed some black gravel with the crushed coral for my 10 gallon shrimp/snail tank. Shrimp are long gone, tank now houses Endler's, a marmokreb, and snails. None of them seem to mind either.

bazil323

AC Members
May 1, 2008
Wisconsin
The only problem that I could see is if you are also going to house fish. And that is only if you don't acclimate them to the higher pH. The crushed coral with naturally raise the pH to about 8.

I've got a handful in my invert tank for the extra calcium, and I will be adding some to the filter (in a media bag) to my backup filter on the community tank as I have added nerites to it.

No reason to do anything special. Just rinse it out really well or you will get a cloud of white "dust" everytime you do a gravel vac. Someone suggested using a pillowcase to rinse sand, which worked awesome for me, and I would think that you could do the same with crushed coral or gravel or any other substrate.

Sounguru

Guru at being an expert
I mixed mine 50/50 with sand blasting sand and it works great....

toddnbecka

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Cumberland, MD 21502
Crushed coral won't rasie the pH any higher than 7.6, you need aragonite or baking soda to get it up to 8 or higher.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store