Curious what this ground cover is

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
It looks like hydrocotle tripartita or similar to me. It can be kept low or allowed to get taller as yours is doing with that 1 spot. If you want it low just pinch off the taller part or let it grow tall. It "can" grow with lower light & no co2 but is better with higher highish light & co2. Be very gentle when vacuuming near it, it's a bit fragile but pretty.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
It looks like hydrocotle tripartita or similar to me. It can be kept low or allowed to get taller as yours is doing with that 1 spot. If you want it low just pinch off the taller part or let it grow tall. It "can" grow with lower light & no co2 but is better with higher highish light & co2. Be very gentle when vacuuming near it, it's a bit fragile but pretty.
Would have my vote too.

But I wouldn't think of it as a carpet plant unless under higher light, as it's not gonna creep otherwise, just grow leggy.

If that helps.

ZSandmann

Obey the Corgi!
Jun 25, 2007
Tuscaloosa, AL
Real Name
John
Great! Thanks for that. I have never seen this one before and most of my lfs carry all the most common stuff so that's why I grabbed it. I'll move it to a more midground position since I'm not running any kind of complex setup at the moment.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Some of my plant clubbers with small shallow tanks do use it as 2-3 inch low tech groundcover...but I think they're much more into maintenance (trimming) & fert dosing that I am ;) My tanks are fairly large & I'm lazy, lol.

Reactions: ZSandmann

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I think it needs more light to stay close to the ground.

Reactions: ZSandmann
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store