Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

1. Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Current Satellite Plus Pro LED lights...any experience with these?

Discussion in 'Planted Aquariums' started by Jennifer G., Dec 18, 2017.

1. Jennifer G.

Jennifer G. AC Members

Today at 11:00 AM
    Heya,

I will be setting up some tanks after Christmas (3 10's and a 20 long) and purchased some Current Satellite Plus Pro LED's for each of them. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with them. Will they be able to grow "high light" plants (with CO2) with a 12-13" water/substrate depth or are they more of a low-medium light set up? Was also wondering if there was a magic number setting wise (intensity 1-100) where say set to 78 all is fine but set at 79 it's an algae fest?

I went with the "Plus Pro's" due to the fact they have built in timers and plan on having them run 7-8 hours.

Thanks in advance for your time :)

2. FreshyFresh

FreshyFresh Global Moderator
    Staff Member

Joel
    Today at 11:58 AM
    Joel
    I've had my Current Satellite LED+ 48"-60" for over 2yrs now and it runs ~8hrs/day with a lamp timer. This fixture keeps the crypts, swords, anubia and java ferns growing nicely in my 55g. I do not add ferts or CO2.

Glancing at the specs on Current-USA site for the "pro" fixtures, they have higher wattage ratings on them. Almost double what the standard LED+ fixtures use. I know this is only a piece of the puzzle, but generally speaking, if the LED fixture consumes more watts, it can throw more energy at the plants.

3. Jennifer G.

Jennifer G. AC Members

Thank you for the input FreshyFresh :) Just trying to figure out if I will be able to grow the demanding carpet plants and have some punches of reds ;)

FreshyFresh likes this.
  4. dougall

dougall ...

Today at 10:58 AM
    I have a plus, not the pro, over a 10g tank... I would say it's fairly low light.

Not sure how much the light improved with the pro.

But give it a try :)

5. Jennifer G.

Jennifer G. AC Members

Ok, so I found a Model Comparison chart of all 3 of their models. Seems the Plus Pro model (per the company) is much more powerful than the other 2. 100 PAR at 12" as opposed to 35+ and 15+...I watched a video of Cory (Aquarium Co-op) review it with a PAR meter (calibrated for LED's) on a 12" tank. His readings showed a PAR of 75. Not sure if the company ran the tests filled with water or not, Cory did.

All in all I'm sure this light will grow plants...trick is going to be dialing it in to grow more plants than algae :D

FreshyFresh likes this.