Curved Spine guppy, disease or breeding?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bybyle

Registered Member
Dec 26, 2018
Hello guys !

So a few weeks ago we saw a young guppy starting to have a curved spine.
The guppy might be like 6-7 months old, maybe younger. She was doing fine till she started showing signs of curved spine. She didnt have it while a baby, it appeared in 1 week or so. So I took her out to put her in an other tank alone. Since then, she's still curved, but she eats really fine (like any other fish, even better thn my other guppies), she's active, she seems really healthy, exept for the curved part.

We found out a bit after that her "sister" (one guppy bought the same day from the say aquarium - same age different color) started to have a curved spine too. But like wayyy more than the forst one. We thought it was too late to rescue her, we tried medication but it was too late she died yesterday or so. We're happy she died so she doesnt suffer anymore.
The other guppies in the tank (2 old females 1 old male et 5 teens from these females) are very well, eating well, no curved spine etc.
The parameters are almost perfect (0 nitrites, some nitrates (dont remember the digit), no ammonia, dont remember the ph), everyone is living a great life.
I thought it would be fish TB when I saw the second one having the SAME issue, but seeing the other being colpletly fine, I was thinking about like something related to their old environment (we bought em they were 3 months old) or something?
And I dont think it is over breeding, because she wasnt like tht when she was younger !

I first gave them and all of my oter fish only pellets (JBL ones),
But i started giving them Artemias/bloodworms and flakes 1 week from now because I thought it my be some missing vitamines, but the other ones didnt contract anything even with the same food so I dont know what it could be.

Any thoughts?

The pics are from exactly 2 weeks ago (at work, so I can't take more now), she's doint really fine she even took some belly with the new food I'm giving her; I even think her spine is less bent, but I dont think it is. I don't want to keep her in a small tank like that any longer, so I'm thinking about putting her back in the main tank, but I need some advices !

Sorry for my english, I'm not a native speaker I'm doing my best !

Thanks a lot for your answers !

48171810.jpg

48377710.jpg

48378810.jpg

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
It is a breeding issue. Nothing you can do to fix.

Reactions: FreshyFresh

forse

AC Members
Nov 7, 2018
San Juan, PR
Real Name
Enrique
A breeding issue most times. But sometimes, old females or weak females get curved after giving birth.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store