Cut and plant Egeria Densa

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

KO Lo

AC Members
Jun 23, 2006
I'm new to Aquatic Plants
Any tips how to cut and plant Egeria Densa?
What is the do's and don't?

fresh_newby

Resident Plant Freakshow
Mar 5, 2006
NYC
Like all stems, pinch off the top and shove it into the substrate. It will root from there on its own.

beviking

Senior Member, Sophomoric Attitude
Feb 16, 2002
Syracuse, NY
If you want to grow more stems, let the stem float at the surface (on it's side) and you'll get stems growing from several places. Once they're long enough, pinch them off and plant.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
I can't get it to grow in a tank with 3 wpg+ CO2 ferts (tank is at 84 degrees-probably what kills it)

it does fine in a low tech tank with a 20 watt light and filtered sunlight. I added a hagen co2 ladder and use diy formula. it grows like crazy in this tank..i cut the top and within a few days it fills the void. I plant some of the cuttings..they grow..it also does well floating as it feed from the water column.
if you have low light..float it.

KO Lo

AC Members
Jun 23, 2006
beviking said:
If you want to grow more stems, let the stem float at the surface (on it's side) and you'll get stems growing from several places. Once they're long enough, pinch them off and plant.
Is it OK for the plants to float? I thought they need nutritions from the soil through their roots.
Is there any difference pinch off and cut off (scissors)?

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
egeria densa, aka anacharis, feeds from the water column.
it does not need to be planted and does extremely well as a floating plant.it will grow dense with light and ferts add CO2 and it will become the invasive 'weed' that it is notorious for.

beviking

Senior Member, Sophomoric Attitude
Feb 16, 2002
Syracuse, NY
KO Lo said:
Is it OK for the plants to float? I thought they need nutritions from the soil through their roots.
Is there any difference pinch off and cut off (scissors)?
Yep, as star stated, it's o.k. for it and most stem plants to float. In fact, if you have one/some that aren't looking well (transplant from another/someone elses tank) stem plants will 'bounce back' sooner ( vs. planting them at the bottom of the tank) if you let them float due to the proximity to the light.

No difference between pinching off vs. scissors.

MardieJane

AC Members
Apr 19, 2017
Central Florida
Camera Used
Cannon eos 5d markII
Are there other types of stem plants that will grow in low light? Is this one you all are talking about the tall frilly looking things? If it is it reminds me of Dr Seuss lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store