Cycle done in 9 days???

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mslagle

AC Members
Jun 22, 2008
Cape Cod Kwassa Kwassa
Two weeks ago today I began setting up my 29 gal tank (with 10 gal sump) in preparation for a cycle with shrimp cycle.

My initial intention was to buy uncured live rock, but since the LFS only carried cured rock, I went that route. I used RO water from my new Filter Guys RO Unit.

My initial purchase was 16 lbs of live rock. This was put in last Tuesday, I put in three smaller cocktail shrimp last Wednesday and raised the temperature to 82 degrees. I have not added anything else to the tank since then. My ammonia started to increase about 1 week ago. Over the course of the past week, my sand is starting to show a presence of diatoms. All seems like my cycle is going well. However, everything has seemed to by fluctuating dramatically quick. Since then...

My ammonia spiked about 4 days ago, at about 3ppm, and has been on its decline, my nitrite was up to 1.0, and that was 3 days ago, and my nitrates were at 40 ppm 2 days ago. Yesterday my parameters were:

SG 1.023
Ph - 8.0
Temp. 82
NH3 - 0.25 PPM
NO2 - 0.5 PPM
NO3 20 PPM

I just checked my parameters now...

Ph - 8.0
SG 1.023
Temp. 82 degrees
NH3 - 0
NO2 - 0
NO3 - 0

How did everything spike and go away so quickly?

Anybody have any insight? I know that raising the temperature a little higher and the cocktail shrimp probably ensured a little bit of a faster cycle, but I anticipated another 2 weeks at the minimum before this cycle finished up.

I have a long day at work tomorrow, so I'll provide any more additional info Saturday evening if it is needed. Thanks in advance for your help.

johnsonz681

AC Members
Jun 5, 2009
I agree, mine did the exact same thing, I think because I used good live sand and good cured rock. I had corals and clowns within a month, and all is still well. Sounds like you're off to a good start too.

rdfriend

AC Members
Sep 9, 2007
Seminole, Fl.
Since I started in this hobby a little over 2 years ago I have cycled 5 tanks. None of them have ever taken more than 2 weeks and with no adverse effects.

mslagle

AC Members
Jun 22, 2008
Cape Cod Kwassa Kwassa
Ok, I was worried there for a moment that I did something wrong. Thank you guys for your help. I'll definitely get the pics up of this ASAP.

rdfriend

AC Members
Sep 9, 2007
Seminole, Fl.
I probably should have read your post more closely but if your tank is cycled having your ammonia and nitrites at 0 is normal but I don't believe your nitrates would go to zero without a water change so I'm not sure about that. Maybe someone else has some input. Did you removed the shrimp before those last readings?

mslagle

AC Members
Jun 22, 2008
Cape Cod Kwassa Kwassa
Yeah I had found that to be strange as well that my Nitrates were undetectable. No, I did not remove the shrimp before I took that last reading. And I did not do water changes whatsoever. Just topping off with RO water.

rdfriend

AC Members
Sep 9, 2007
Seminole, Fl.
Well, I don't believe that the ammonia and nitrite should just go away without the proper bacteria so sounds like a cycle. I'd just start off slow with one fish at a time and see how it goes. Also, it would probably be best to start off with a hardier species such as a clown, in case you get a mini-cycle, if your are not planning on any other damsel types. Good Luck!

mslagle

AC Members
Jun 22, 2008
Cape Cod Kwassa Kwassa
Yeah that was the plan to go with one fish at a time. I am completely undecided about which one to start with.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store