Cycle

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bzehr

AC Members
Oct 3, 2005
This sticky is completely worthless. It is unorganized, incoherent and good information is sparse. Anyone looking to this thread for cycling information will only be more confused than when they found it. How about taking this down and starting over? Start it off with a strong informative opening post, like most of the other stickies in this forum.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
An article is actually in the works. Rather than just throw something up, though, it's being peer reviewed. I'd expect it to go online within the next few days. At that time, I'll pull this off, clean it up and consolidate the relevant bits, and put it in the archives. This is being kept up since it does HAVE the info needed, just not in a very organized fashion, meaning it requires a bit of effort to be helpful.

roadrashron

Registered Member
Jul 22, 2005
Fish Cycle

I am currently cycling a new 75 gallon tank with 1 Chocolate Cichlid, 1 Green Terror, 3 Columbian cat sharks, and 1 common pleco in it. The ammonia and nitrites are high, I put the filter from their old tank with the biofilters on the new tank as well as the new filter, will this help it cycle? I figured that with the established Biofilters in the old filter that it would help displace the ammonia and nitrite levels.

tomdkat

Da Man
Nov 29, 2005
JSchmidt said:
One of the advantages of fishlessly cycling is that you can prepare the biofilter to handle a full bioload all at once.
Is the implication here that one should be prepared to do a "full bioload" after completing a fishless cycle to minimize any die-off of bacteria (as they adjust to the actual bioload)? Would a fishless cycle be recommended if the aquarium will be stocked gradually?

Peace...

tomdkat

Da Man
Nov 29, 2005
happychem said:
If you don't fully stock you've essentially wasted the months you've put into fishless cycling. True, you've established a base colony, but you still find yourself back in the standard "add one or two fish every few weeks" situation. Why?
Well, I guess this answers my question. :)

As to the "why" asked above, I would want to stock the aquarium gradually so I could hand pick specimens, etc. I would research what I would want to ultimately keep together so I would be aware of compatibility issues and so on but I wouldn't necessarily want to add them all at once.

Also, how does the size of the fish added impact bacteria colony? So, I do a fishless cycle and plan on adding 10 fish to my 55g aquarium. I would most likely add "baby" fish since I would want them to grow. As they grow, they eat more and produce more waste, etc. If I stock a fishless cycled aquarium with all of the fish I intend to keep at the same time, won't there still be adjustment needed to the bacteria colony since I'm not necessarily adding adult fish?

Peace...

tomdkat

Da Man
Nov 29, 2005
OrionGirl said:
An article is actually in the works. Rather than just throw something up, though, it's being peer reviewed. I'd expect it to go online within the next few days.
What's the status of this artcle?

Peace...

happychem

redorkulated
Dec 9, 2003
Halifax, NS
Visit site
tomdkat said:
As to the "why" asked above, I would want to stock the aquarium gradually so I could hand pick specimens, etc. I would research what I would want to ultimately keep together so I would be aware of compatibility issues and so on but I wouldn't necessarily want to add them all at once
Actually, since there are still weeks to a couple of months required to cycle fishlessley you have lots of time to research and source potential inhabitants.

As for the article, I know that at least one of the reviewers is finished with the article, but it was a fairly substantial document and it will take some time for the author to work in all the revisions - especially if (like on my committee) some reviewers gave contradictory suggestions.

Registered Member
Dec 3, 2005
cycling?

Hi All,
I am a true newbie, just bought a 5 gal hex kit today. I just put washed gravel in, water, and chlorine remover, water. I am running the filter bio-wheel thing, and want to leave it run as long as necessary before I buy my fish, which will be a couple of small (1") goldfish I think. I have two questions. One is, I read above to buy some ammonia and add to tank. Do you mean regular ammonia or is there some kind of special aquarium ammonia, and how much to add to 5 gal? Two is does it matter whether I put in the charcoal packet in the filter during this cycling period? Told you I was new. Many thanks in advance :)

happychem

redorkulated
Dec 9, 2003
Halifax, NS
Visit site
1 - Just make sure that the ammonia has no surfactants, detergents, or perfumes. The cheaper, the more likely it's what you're looking for. Try Walmart.

There's no way to know how much, it varies from bottle to bottle. Get test kits for NH3, NO2, and NO3, add a little bit of ammonia (keep track of how much you add) and measure the NH3 concentration resulting from it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store