Cycled in 2 weeks? Maybe?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

chops11

AC Members
Oct 13, 2005
New York
I have a long running thread for the past weeks here if you'd like some background:

http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59080

Quick rundown:

1) I didn't know about cycling
2) Added Fish
3) They died
4) Started Fishless Cycle

Now, after 3 weeks of starting the tank, it appears to be cycled. Is this possible? Small tank, 4 gallons or so.

I added ammonia to 3-4ppm for 2 weeks, nitrites went up to > 1 ppm when ammonia started going down.

Now, daily I have 0ppm both nitrite and ammonia and 40ppm nitrate.

Temp steady at 78, PH 7.4.

Is this possible, or am I being fooled?

mishi8

Go fly a kite!
Jan 13, 2005
Alberta
Yes, it's possible. If you didn't completely break down your tank and clean everything, then there was likely lots of bacteria remaining to seed your cycle well. If you have any question about whether it's complete, then challenge your biofilter again by adding 3-4ppm ammonia and test to see if it's gone within 24 hours. Don't forget to do a water change to lower your nitrates before adding fish. :)

Last edited:

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Nope, very possible. The introduction of the fish provided ammonia that got the bacteria going, and they are now established. I'd do a large water change to reduce the nitrates, and add your fish.

chops11

AC Members
Oct 13, 2005
New York
Terrific! Thank you both. I've done a 50% water change and purchases 1 male guppy :)

Think I will add a Mystery Snail, i love mystery.

chops11

AC Members
Oct 13, 2005
New York
So after a few days all seems well, however, my ammonia reading is about .25ppm. Is it's not normal to have any ammonia after cycling completes correct? Is the tank having trouble getting rid of the waste?

I know that ammonia reading is very low, however, i'm suprised to see a reading at all, what should I take from it? Is the tank not really cycled? Is new bacteria growing more apt to actual fish waste? Do tanks register little amounts of ammonia?

Thanks!

Holly9937

AC Members
Jan 20, 2005
Michigan
Is there still only one guppy in the tank, or have you added more fish since? Are your nitrate and nitrite readings still the same as before?

chops11

AC Members
Oct 13, 2005
New York
Holly9937 said:
Is there still only one guppy in the tank, or have you added more fish since? Are your nitrate and nitrite readings still the same as before?
Guppy and a mystery snail (about 3/4 inch).

Nitrate and Nitrite haven't changed.

Holly9937

AC Members
Jan 20, 2005
Michigan
It is probably just catching up then. In small tanks like that it doesn't take long for toxins to build up either. Fully established tanks should not register any ammonia or nitrites. Make sure to gravel vac. when you do a water change (I think some people use turkey basters on small tanks if regular siphons are too fast/too big). That will keep down the waste that is decomposing in the tank

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store