Cycling Question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

BHRay

AC Members
Nov 27, 2002
girard, oh
Visit site
I put 10lb of LR in a 10g tank yesterday. Tank is 4 days old. Sand and aragonite substrate. Today the NH3 is .25 Is this a problem? Do I need to do a water change? Rock has coraline algae and little sponges growing on it. Do I wait? Do I need lights on for the LR or anything growing on the rock? This is a skimmerless system.

Sounds to me you've had some die off on your rock. Even though rock my be cured, every time its moved and messed with, you will likely run into that problem. As for the sponges, they are probably done any way. They may hang around for a bit and look like they are alive, but more than likely, they are not. If there are no fish in the tank, just let it ride. Thats the purpose of cycling with rock vs. fish. If the rock is still in tact biologicaly, all readings should clear up in a week or two. Some times you get more die off then the bacteria on the rock can handle... HTH

"J"

Good... Nothing to do now but sit and wait it out a bit. GL to ya. BTW, I assume you are making a 10g nano?? If so, what are you using for a light?

"J"

BHRay

AC Members
Nov 27, 2002
girard, oh
Visit site
Yes, it is a 10g. I haven't determined the lighting yet. Still researching what I want to put in it. I have read that some are getting products from WalMart and the like which have pc's in them and retro-ing them to hoods. I have an old incandescent hood I might use or maybe get some tin snips out and make one. Any ideas for a newbie?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store