Daily Log of Constructing a Tropical Fish Pond

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

lousybreed

Aquaria Central Site Controller
Sep 7, 2004
Bay Area, CA
no new pics because there really isn't anything different with the pond from the surface. There has been some hair algae lately, mainly due to the dying vegatation. I removed the dead stuff and removed the pond fish and put them in a 22 gallon rubbermaid container. The water temps were getting too low (60F) so I had to get them out. I couldnt get 2 rosy barbs out (I tried over 4 times w/no results) so they will stay in. We will see if they make it. Actually now that I think about it I have one pic to post. the driftwood with java moss looks awesome and is in my aquarium.

I will get those pics soon....later

Reddog80p

Permanently Dechlor'd
Nov 18, 2006
update?

lousybreed

Sep 7, 2004
Bay Area, CA
yeah, bad news to report....the fish in the rubbermaid container all died with no reason....
I think I will put goldfish in the pond because its way too much work! Oh well, I tried!

Reddog80p

Permanently Dechlor'd
Nov 18, 2006
KOI and Comets will work they are tough as nails. Mine are swimming at the top of the pond the water temps gotta be in the 20's, crazy fish

lousybreed

Sep 7, 2004
Bay Area, CA
KOI and Comets will work they are tough as nails. Mine are swimming at the top of the pond the water temps gotta be in the 20's, crazy fish
Dude, water freezes at 32..... I am leaning towards fancy goldfish. The lowest the water gets here is about 45.....I would assume this is warm enough for the fancy goldfish????

lousybreed

Sep 7, 2004
Bay Area, CA
Well I constructed a mega sponge filter today for the pond. It probably cost a whopping 15 bucks to make. I will get a pic soon. I was cleaning up the pond, installed the filter, and low and behold I see the rosy barb swimming around. This is the fish that I could not catch last year when I was getting all the fish out at the end of the season. It made it thru the winter! The water got down to 46F at one point this winter and somehow this beast made it! Crazy.... The water is now around 55F and the barb seems pretty active. I started feeding the pond lightly to get it going. I want to dump the fish into the pond in a week or two. I still can't believe that the barb lived. I guess they are tough little fish!

In my 20 gallon long I have been quarintining goldfish I bought about 3 weeks ago. I have 1 orange lionhead (Bob-O), 1 white and orange ranchu (Lumpy), 2 small pearlscales (no names yet), 2 red orandas ( the small black and orange is Oscar), 1 calico oranda (Ruby), 1 fat orange and black pearlscale (fat bast#rd). I also have 4 dojo's in the 20. They all had a slight bout with ich and that cleared up no problem. I will try to get some pics but I really suck at pictures. I also made some homemade frozen fish food. Fish, shrimp, squid, nori, peas, broccoli, garlic all blended up, throw in some gelatin and freeze! I am going to powerfeed these bad boys this summer. I want fat fish!

lousybreed

Sep 7, 2004
Bay Area, CA
I will get pics later this week, but today I got to tinker around for about 15 minutes before it got too dark to see and it looks like the sponge filter is doing the trick. Water looks "healthier" and really clear. It is going to be in the upper 60's for the rest of the week so I think I am going to put some of the fish in there this week. Maybe like all the dojo's and one or two of my goldfish. The pond should be around 60 by wednesday. I hope I am not adding them too early!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store