Danio killed by water changing siphon.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Eupterus

The one who takes a different path.
Jul 22, 2007
31 Spooner St. Quahog, RI.
This isn't about disease, just not sure where else to put it./ There's no accidently killed your fish section.
I left a siphon running in my danio tank for a water change, came back to find the siphon "clogged"/ not running anymore. I notice there is a fish stuck at the other end., I quickly lift it out to stop the siphon and a dead danio falls down . It wasn't even one with the spinal problems, it was one of the ones with good genes/healthy ones.

Anyhow, I'm just sharing so others are aware this can happen. I'm sure it's one of those rare freak accidents because I've done water changes like this countless times. In fact I did water changes on two other tanks prior exactly the same way without incident.

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Deep in the heart of texas
I accidentally sucked one of my African Dwarf frogs, Allie, up a siphon one time. It wasn't a Python, it was just a gravel vac/siphon with a squeeze bulb to get it started.

I was holding the vacuum as I was siphoning, I turned my face for just a moment, looked back just in time to see the frog going up the larger tube and then into the smaller tube.

When she got to the bulb section she didn't emerge from the other side of the bulb, horribly, but also thankfully, because on that side of the bulb the diameter of the tube decreased dramatically.

I was holding the thing... looking at the bulb that she had disappeared into, in horror, and in a nanosecond I knew she was stuck in there. I started yelling "HELP HELP!!!! Somebody help!! I need a knife.. a SHARP KNIFE!!! HELP HELP I NEED A KNIFE!!!!"

My sister was visiting and was in back of the house. She came running, the look on her face was hysterical, (at the time I wasn't laughing but I can now), she was screaming, "WHAT??!!! WHAT??!!!" I yelled, "I need a knife, I need a sharp knife!!!!" She ran to the kitchen for a butcher knife. (I have no clue the horrible thoughts that were going through her mind, since she didn't know what had just happened.)

I had to cut into the squeeze bulb, carefully, hoping I wouldn't cut the frog in half. I was able to slice into the bulb a bit, pull the edges apart and drop the frog back into the tank.

My frog was no worse for the experience, can't say the same for my sister, but after this awful trip up the tube Allie sure avoided the vacuum tube from that time forward. Oh, and I never turn away from the siphon anymore either. I wouldn't leave it unattended in the future if I were you; you never know when one of your guys is going to get curious.

So sorry for your loss.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store