danio with scoliosis?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

AndiPants

AC Members
May 25, 2007
Canada
I have a zebra danio, who had been passed through about six different owners, and somehow ended up in my tank. I had never had a danio before, but right off the back I knew something wasn't quite right about him. His back is very curved, like a hunchback, and I was told by a friend who works at a LFS that it was scoliosis. Does this sound right? When I recieved him, he was in a .5 gal bowl with no filter/heater/ect, which I upgraded right away...I don't know if the small area could have affected this as well?
Nevertheless, the little guy thrived and had always been really active until lately; he now spends about half of the time just sitting on the bottom of the tank. To make sure he wouldn't get beaten up by any other fish, I moved him into a small tank by himself and added two other danios for some company. Now I wonder if this is where an ethical question comes in: I was told if it was scoliosis, it is very painful for the fish, and it is best to euthenize (something I want to avoid doing, but I want what is best). Before I didn't consider it because he always seemed happy and active, but now that he has gotten larger, his spine seems to be more curved, causing him more problems. He doesn't seem extremely stressed, and the only worrying display is that he just sits on the bottom. Any ideas on what I should (or shouldn't) do? :confused:

post.jpg posts.jpg

AndiPants

AC Members
May 25, 2007
Canada
yeah, i think he is pretty old- i have had him for about a year and a half, and as i said, i know of at least 6 hands who he has gone through. the pictures i posted probably aren't the best for representing his size, they are kinda old (I was just trying to find some that showed the form of his back) and it was when I first added the new guys in, who were tiny when I bought them, so they make him look a whole lot bigger! And now that I look at him, I realize his back is even more curved since the pic was taken (a month or two ago).
Is there anything I should be doing though?

RowanKehl

Registered Member
Feb 19, 2023
yeah, i think he is pretty old- i have had him for about a year and a half, and as i said, i know of at least 6 hands who he has gone through. the pictures i posted probably aren't the best for representing his size, they are kinda old (I was just trying to find some that showed the form of his back) and it was when I first added the new guys in, who were tiny when I bought them, so they make him look a whole lot bigger! And now that I look at him, I realize his back is even more curved since the pic was taken (a month or two ago).
Is there anything I should be doing though?
I would let him be. I know there are different natural oils that you can use to humanly uthanize fish (If its that bad). I have a Giant Danio, that is over a year old. He hasnt been getting worse, nor better. He is living a happy and comfortable life. Maybe try adding blood worms into his diet, also make sure your water quality is good. (you can buy tests for that)

Edit - (I just realized how old this post is. lol)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store