Dead Coral Rocks in freshwater tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Limponkimo

AC Members
Mar 7, 2017
Hi guys,

My mom just came to visited recently and she bought some dead coral rocks for my tank. I read it online people said it will effect the pH level and harm the fishes. I also read that putting woods can lower the pH level in the tank. My tank is 29 gallons and I have a S/M size wood in the tank. Can I put the dead coral rocks in my tank? I want to change the decoration a little :/ Thank!!

Ps, don't mind the poops I'm about to clean it LOL

IMG_0575.JPG

IMG_0576.JPG

IMG_0577.JPG

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I think knowing what all fish you have in there would help.

I assume they are all tank bred, so exact water chemistry will be of much less of a risk than if they were wild caught.

but the devil will be in the specifics.

It also depends how much you plan to add.... but my instinct is that it won't make a huge difference, especially if done gradually.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
You should also likely state what your current water parameters are as well.

Mr. Bones

AC Members
May 25, 2017
In The Deep Blue Sea
Real Name
Boney
The tank looks good, regardless of the fish poop :) thats about all fish do, eat, swim and poop. :)
Dead coral rock would be alkaline by nature (High Calcium) and yes most wood will cause a drop in ph at some point, but it really doesnt matter because it is very doubtful that the fish you have are wild caught, more like F2-million or so, and have never known what their native ph even is. Have a good time with your hobby, and dont always accept what you see in print as the gospel, nothing is etched in stone in the aquarium hobby, except that big fish eat little fish.

Last edited:

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
I'm with dougall, what are your current parameters? What kind of fish do you have? What size tank? How much coral?

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
I agree with everything so far. I would like to know KH in particular.

Limponkimo

AC Members
Mar 7, 2017
I think knowing what all fish you have in there would help.

I assume they are all tank bred, so exact water chemistry will be of much less of a risk than if they were wild caught.

but the devil will be in the specifics.

It also depends how much you plan to add.... but my instinct is that it won't make a huge difference, especially if done gradually.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fish: 12 neon tetras/ 7 harley quinn tetras/ 7 cory catfishes/ 1 bristlenose pleco.
Tank: 29 Gallons
KH:4
GH:7
Temp: 81F

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I wouldn't be to terribly concerned...

But laughing at 'Harley Quinn's :)

And I am hoping they are not one of the larger species of corydoras... There are bunches from pygmaeus to brochus.. and quite a size difference between them all.

Limponkimo

AC Members
Mar 7, 2017
I wouldn't be to terribly concerned...

But laughing at 'Harley Quinn's :)

And I am hoping they are not one of the larger species of corydoras... There are bunches from pygmaeus to brochus.. and quite a size difference between them all.
they are all pretty small. the fattest cory is around one inch long. the only big fish is pleco (5-6 inches). maybe ill just try to put one in there first lol one coral at a time and see if they are ok with it.

Limponkimo

AC Members
Mar 7, 2017
they are all pretty small. the fattest cory is around one inch long. the only big fish is pleco (5-6 inches). maybe ill just try to put one in there first lol one coral at a time and see if they are ok with it.
totally forgot. I have another 5 neon too. forgot the name

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store