dead fish with open gills means?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

aquatix02

AC Members
Jan 5, 2003
Malaysia
Visit site
hi,

i just had a sad passing of a betta. the gills were flared open when i discovered it today. it was actually fine in its own box-filtered 10G for a month or two.. it had ich earlier and i had treated it with salt and increased temperatures to 82degrees for 2 weeks. i did not discover any recurrences but i maintained the salt levels and temperature. i used stress coat as a water conditioner with blackwater extract added on a weekly basis with my water changes. all instructions for water treatments are stictly adhered to.

about a week ago, it stopped feeding and was always hanging out at the bottom of the tank. it would be lying, slightly tilted on its side most of the time.

could it be that its just old (arched-back) or did it catch a disease?

thanks for any help in advance!

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
Aging sounds about right, and hopefully other Betta owners will confirm that to be the cause.

Last edited:

wetmanNY

AC Members
Bettas don't live long, and they age quickly. Their colors fade and darken. I think (personally) that mycobacteriosis speeds the apparent "ageing" of many of our aquarium fish.

...but then, we all die of something eventually. You could also say it was the immune system running down.

The open gills suggests gill damage, whether ongoing or not, perhaps from Ich-- I can't tell, of course. You didn't notice whether the gills were an unusual color, not their normal pinkish red?

Last edited:

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
Why did you say "when" instead of "if"? If there is a reason for having said it that way, please let us know exactly what you think caused the death so that he can worry now rather than later.

aquatix02

AC Members
Jan 5, 2003
Malaysia
Visit site
Wetman,

Gills were not pinkish red, they were rather pale, if i remember correctly. The body was pale too. prob because it was already dead for a good 12 hours before i discovered it.

mycobacteriousis -> fish TB? i hope that was not the culprit...

Carpguy/chilldawg,

Salt levels were about 1 tblsp per 5 gallons, with regular topping up during water changes. (change what i remove). tank was planted with anubias, silk fake java fern and egeria.

maybe the salinity was excessive or maintained too long..?

goldfries,

i sincerely hope that i do not have to wait for another death.. if i can help it..

VoodooChild

Kissin' the Sky
Dec 17, 2001
MN
Visit site
I can't imagine a betta dying from salt at such a minimal level. It may have just been the stress from all of the above. The flared gills may have just been a product of rigomortis.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store