Death of a Beautiful Angel

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Lila

Boston!
Oct 9, 2002
MI, USA
Sorry wetman..as I said, I may have misread and misunderstood your post. I didn't think you were attacking, just upset at the time I read it. Had to flush the last two angels this morning.

I really loved them. They were so beautiful. Because they are in my bedroom, I would watch them everynight before turning the lights off. They were so fun. You could sense the personality of each one.

I know fish die, mistakes happen. And I know what you mean about forgetting sometimes, the most important detail.

Sorry I misread ya.

Lila

Cuddlebug910

Cuddlier than any other bug
Mar 2, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
Lila-- I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of all of your angels. That's just so sad! :( Don't blame yourself too much (or your hubby for that matter! Just have him buy your new ones!!). Mistakes happen. Just make sure you learn from it.

wetman-- I'm curious about the technical discussion you hinted at. If you think it's too much for newbs, would you mind starting a thread in general FW to explain? I'm curious about your comments about not disturbing the substrate as well. (Does this mean you're anti-vacuuming? I've visited your website a number of times already--guess I need to refresh my memory! :D )

ellray

AC Members
Dec 15, 2002
Puget Sound area
Visit site
Angel death and vacuuming and medicine (human and animal)

I am sorry, too!!! So, let me ask...it seems to me that a dozen feeders is a huge amount...is that true? (anyone can answr)...also, I am extremely interested in the vacuuming issue, since I have not done it yet, but was all ready to do it in the next few days...and I have been wondering about this whole issue of beneficial bacteria colonies, since when I was a kid and had tanks of fish (in the 50's) we just had these little corner filters with floss and carbon, and didn't know that there were natural critters that were helping the tank to be healthy and balanced. But it seems obvious that it is very tricky to maintain that chemical/biological/ecological balance...as someone said not too long ago in this forum, dogs and cats are easier in a way because we don't have to provide their air and gravity! And I, too, felt that vaccuming might create more problems than it solves. So have hesitated. So wd love to know more...I can probably handle the "technical" stuff, if you don't mind putting it out there. Furthermore, as a nurse taking care of humans, it is often the case that a vital piece of information gets left out, not intentionally at all, but because the person doesn't make the connection between what happened (symptoms) and what went before (that is my job to some extent, and the docs too), and that is why your doc asks you to come in to the ofc to be seen face-to-face (not because he wants to rip you off, or make a payment on his boat), and that is why sometimes it takes more than one visit, which is really annoying to busy people who think you should have been able to figure the whole thing out in just one visit. It is the difficulty of diagnosing from a distance, or diagnosing a problem for which the solution isn't immediately crystal-clear. Also, you yourself found out what was going on when you stirred up the gravel, and good for you! Now you have learned a valuable, costly, painful lesson, and that is worth more than any number of lectures...God bless you, and good luck with your beauties next time. I feel sure you will do an excellent job, as you are so conscientious and caring, and not neglectful or thoughtless.

Sharyl C

Mola and Me
Ok so I may have missed it, but I didn't see anyone mention checking water quality. IMO That is always the first step that should be taken when there appears to be a problem. No doubt with all the stuff in the gravel (shaken or stirred or not) the ammonia and nitrites probably soared and would not necessarily have come down with one thorough cleaning.

please test your water and make sure your tank is back on track before getting any more angels.

Lila

Boston!
Oct 9, 2002
MI, USA
Of course, We aren't getting anymore angels till that tank is ready. Tests will be run of course. The tank stands empty right now, till we're all over the flu and can get back to it.

Lila

Boston!
Oct 9, 2002
MI, USA
Thanks, I'm feeling better along with the two babies, but hubby is sick ..The two oldest aren't showing any signs...hope they don't get sick.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store