Dechlorinator Comparison

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fshfanatic

AC Members
Apr 7, 2006
Arizona
Real Name
Mike
Interesting,care to elaborate?

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
I buy and sell sodium thiosulfate crystals buy the 9lb bucket. You mix 4oz into a gallon of distilled water and it gives you deChlor. 1 drop per gallon. If u would like to try some check my sig. I sell it here. If works great.

Narwhal72

AC Members
Aug 13, 2009
There is a mistake that needs corrected. Kent Pro Dechlorinator also neutralizes Ammonia. It is marked as a "N" but should be a "Y".

Andy

dbosman

AC Members
Dec 5, 2010
East Lansing, MI USA
Seachem SAFE is the dry form of Prime. The only problem I have with it is measuring for small tanks. The dosage for a 75g tank is half a teaspoon.
Williams Sanoma and Amazon.com sell tiny spoons, but they are labeled Hint, Pinch, Smidge, and Drop.

oo7genie

Hello my fintime gal...
Nov 18, 2010
Eugene, OR
Real Name
Rick
There is a mistake that needs corrected. Kent Pro Dechlorinator also neutralizes Ammonia. It is marked as a "N" but should be a "Y".

Andy
I just went to their site to verify, and this was the only mention of it that I found:

Although KENT Marine Pro-Dechlorinator has the ability to neutralize ammonia when breaking the chloramine bond, to affectively control elevated levels of ammonia in the aquarium system use KENT Marine Pro-Ammonia Detox.
Even that was hidden under a button for directions, which is probably why I didn't catch it before. Unfortunately, we don't have the ability to edit posts after a certain length of time :(

Smertrios

AC Members
Jul 28, 2007
Will sodium thiosulfate crystals remove both chlorine and chloramine?

EDIT: I got my answer with google I need to do that before posting! Would like confirmation tho... What I found says 1 drop per gallon for chlorine and 2 drops for chloramine.

Last edited:

Narwhal72

AC Members
Aug 13, 2009
It will neutralize the chlorine component of chloramine but will not neutralize the ammonia component. Although your biological filter will take care of that quickly anyways so it's not much of an issue.

SpruceGruve

Snail
Jul 17, 2011
Edmonton, AB
Real Name
Steve
Just did a group order of seachem safe.
Worked out to $106 for a 4kg pail,has no expiry date and does the exact same stuff as prime.

One pail 4kg does 400,000 gallons of water.
A 1gallon(4l) bottle of prime cost $115 and only does 37854.11 gallons

tbonedeluxe

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Chicago,Il
Thank you for taking the time to point
out the pros and cons of each of the products listed.
I use prime myself.
I heard that this was the best for your tanks and your wallet.
Thanks again.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store