Decoration makes aquarium smell

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

R.A.W.

AC Members
Mar 6, 2010
Deepwater, Missouri
I bought a decoration from PetCo, washed it well with hot as it can get out of the tap hot water for a long time, put it in my tank, waited a couple days, and then added the Betta.

After a while I noticed the betta acting weird. The betta had been acting weird from the start so I just pushed it aside. Middle of December and I had to go home for winter break so I took apart all the tanks.

The one with the decoration reeked, something I hadn't noticed before. When I took out the decoration I noticed the grave under it had turned a light brown colour. Of course, I stuck my nose in the decoration and sure enough it stunk something horrible.

I washed the gravel with hot water and it was fine. I rewashed the decoration, again with super hot water, then laid it on its side for it to dry.

Just a couple days ago, I got back and put the tanks back together. The decoration still makes the aquarium smell weird. I made sure it was full of water and didn't have any air bubbles.

The decoration smells like plastic but the water smells horrible, like nothing I've ever smelt before.

When I took out the betta for break it immediately began to act fine again, which leads me to believe that it is indeed the decorations fault. Don't worry, he isn't going back into his normal tank until I figure out what's wrong with the decoration.

After reading all that you finally get the question: Why is the decoration making the water smell bad and toxic to the fish? And what can I do to fix it or do I need to take it back to PetCo?

Thanks a bunch,
Rei

This is the culprit.

IMG_2630.JPG

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Are you sure the "deco" was made for a "fish tank" and not for "reptiles"???

kelly82

AC Members
Jun 1, 2007
Lincolnshire, UK
is it hollow? ive had hollow ornaments in my tanks before that when moved the water inside them absolutely stinks. its like really stagnant water. i removed all my ornaments like this as i figured the water sitting in there not moving wasnt doing the water quality any favours.

Ballyhoo

AC Members
Jun 27, 2010
Fairfield, CA
I had a decoration that did that as well, it was hollow so that could very well be it. The smell always came back no matter what I did, I eventually just tossed the decoration and hadn't had a problem since

agp

AC Members
Aug 8, 2010
USA
If it's a hollow piece, get and air pump, hook that up to an air stone, and drop the stone inside of it. That way the water will flow nicely.

Ratlova30

AC Members
Apr 2, 2010
Washington
Real Name
Chelsea
I wanna know if the aquarium is filtered because I don't see one in the pic.

R.A.W.

AC Members
Mar 6, 2010
Deepwater, Missouri
@Ratlova30, the tank isn't filtered but I do water changes about twice a week. The filter debate, much like the tank size debate, is one that will never end. It's all about personal choice.

@agp, good advice but it's a betta tank and bettas hate water flow.

I think I'm just going to take it back to PetCo. Kind of ridiculous that they would make a decoration like this. It may not make a difference in a bigger tank, which I'm sure was it's initial purpose but still. My betta continues to act weird.

Thanks everyone.

Ballyhoo

AC Members
Jun 27, 2010
Fairfield, CA
@Ratlova30, the tank isn't filtered but I do water changes about twice a week. The filter debate, much like the tank size debate, is one that will never end. It's all about personal choice.

@agp, good advice but it's a betta tank and bettas hate water flow.

I think I'm just going to take it back to PetCo. Kind of ridiculous that they would make a decoration like this. It may not make a difference in a bigger tank, which I'm sure was it's initial purpose but still. My betta continues to act weird.

Thanks everyone.
Bettas don't hate all water flow, they only hate the kind that knocks them around.
My bettas had a HOB filter that I adjusted to not have a forceful output and they are happy as clams :)

Khemul

Sea Bunny
Oct 14, 2010
South Florida
Maybe it is different with female bettas, but mine seem to be perfectly happy with flowing water. As long as it isn't impeding their ability to get to the surface (or pressing them against the glass, but just about all fish dislike that :rofl:).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store