Deep tanks, low light plus actinic questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishstoreguy

AC Members
Jan 20, 2005
Lincoln, Nebraska
I have a 44 gal, 24" deep tank with two 15 watt bulbs one of them an actinic. I am trying for a planted tank so started with a couple of anachris an amazon sword, a small cobomba, and finall a ludwigia. I had a hornwort die off already before I git the ludwigia. I have a medium sized substrate and put some root growth with iron tablets close to each plant, plus a little trace element liquid in the water. The anachris is growing fine of course I guess my questions are is that gonna be enough light for the other plants. .68 watts per gallon. I have heard some say that actinics are not good for plants but I have heard that they still will grow under them. So what are your thoughts? Plus are deep tanks hard to keep plants alive in? I run my lights 10-12 hours a day to try to make up a little for the low wattage. I have a bristlenose that seems to keep algae in check so that hasn't been a problem. I am new to plants and hear at the store where I work that they "just die." and that it's fairly difficult to keep them alive. I don't have that many fish in the 44, two albino brichardis, a bichir and the pleco. Any suggestions from plant veterans would be great.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store