Deer jumps into lions' den at DC National Zoo

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

PuppyFluffer

AC Members
Jan 9, 2008
east coast USA
Shame they didn't just let the lions do what they know how to do - capture and kill and eat it. I am sure there is some sort of concern about the deer harboring something that could adversely impact the lion? Who knows.

thorpbrian

AC Members
Oct 7, 2009
La Center, WA
I find it funny that people find it entertaining to stare at the lion when they're trying to sleep but shriek and root for the deer when they're just doing what they would naturally do in the wild. Personally if I saw this in person I'd be rooting for the lion as hard as I used to root for the coyote to get the road runner in the old Looney Tunes cartoons.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
That's like saying a person was crossing the street and got hit and killed by a car so the person is stupid for crossing the street.
No it's not. It's like saying they were stupid for not looking left, right and over their shoulder for cars BEFORE crossing the street. They were knowingly in a dangerous situation and chose not to take the actions that would have kept them safe. They're indeed stupid, and more importantly dead, just not for the reason you stated. Just as any deer that chooses to remain in an area that from its olfactory point of view reeks of lions or any large predator is stupid and deserves to be lunch.

Dwarf Puffers

Dec 11, 2006
NS, Canada
LMAO, I agree, that deer was pretty stupid, it must have smelled the lions in there. Got a laugh off of what the guy said 12 or 13 seconds into the first video, too :grinno:

abcdefghi

AC Members
Jun 6, 2007
Anytime I have been to DC zoo the lions have always been sleeping, I would have loved to have seen this. Would have been neat to see some natural behavior out of the lions. It's true though that deer are regularly seen around the zoo, I always wondered if they had staff attempting to keep them away.

Inka4040

O_o
Mar 31, 2008
Real Name
The Silver Slanket
Natural daytime behavior for lions = sleep.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store