Derasa Clam question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Pallen81

TheSunCoralTamer
Jun 20, 2006
Lawrenceville, NJ
www.mygodmusic.com
hey guys.

I have 6.5 watts per gallon on my 30 gallon reef tank. I have (2) 96 watt Actnics and (2) 96 watt 10k bulbs on my tank. My tank is only 12 inches in height and I'm thinking of getting a Derasa Clam. Everywhere I read they recommend I have metal halides? What do you think? Would the PCs be sufficient enough?

Subliminal

AC Members
Feb 21, 2007
Princeton, NJ
I think you'd be fine. That's a lotta power over a 30 gallon. The WPG thing doesn't really mean much, as I think you know, but you can always move that guy up the rock structure a bit if it doesn't fare well on the bottom.

:)

Fishieness

AC Members
Jan 14, 2006
ct
The problem is with most clams, it really depends on the actual clam... Some of the "low lighting" clams will do fine with that lighting, while others will surly die. It depends where it was collected from. If it was collected from deep water, you should be fine, as it was able to survive with less lighting so this one would be able to tolerate PCs in your tank. However, if it was collected in shallow water (and there is quite a range of where these guys are found) it is up in the air and may need more light than you are able to give it.

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
T. derasa tends to be more forgiving than most of the other species (except maybe H. hippopus). Position it on a flat surface (preferably rock, as that is what most are found on, contrary to popular belief) in the upper levels of the tank. Also keep in mind that they can grow fairly fast, even under relatively low lighting conditions and that T. derasa is the second largest species of giant clam.

Pallen81

TheSunCoralTamer
Jun 20, 2006
Lawrenceville, NJ
www.mygodmusic.com
This clam is doing great so far. Really nice blue colors. Looks healthy.

Thanks for the info.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store