Desperate with the water

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Stephan20

Registered Member
Feb 17, 2020
Dear all,

I had a 35L aquarium with gravel and I bought another one with 63L where I placed fine sand (JBL Sansibar White). Also, I bought a new filter for it, but I placed it on 35L aquarium alongside the old filter to stablish a bacterial colony.

One week later, due to a problem on the 35L, I had to move fish and plants to the 63L. Old filter also died. So on February 2nd the 63L aquarium had new (washed) sand, filter with one week use on the older aquarium (it’s a seachem tidal 35 with foam, matrix, perlon, micromec, perlon, in that order), fish, mopani log, two caves and plants (limnophila, 2 x hygrophilas, anubia, cryptocorine and Ceratophyllum demersum).

As expected, new filter was not able to handle all the waste, so a white haze appeared, barely seen from the frontal, but noticeable if you see through any the sides.

First week I had 10 NO3 (probably because I took about 20L water from older aquarium) and zero NO2. Second week I had 25 NO3 and 2 NO2. Every day since 2nd I’ve had the haze.

I’ve been changing 12L water every 2 days, using Prime on tap water, and adding Stability directly on the filters entrance. Sand is clean, I used to clean it every day during the first week because I was seeing many wastes on it, but this week has been clear by itself, so I’ve not using vacuum on it.

Troubles:
- I have NO2 and NO3 so I’m guessing I have some of both types of bacteria on filter but not enough as haze does not disappear.
- NO2 don’t reach 0, even when I’ve spent like 50% of a 100ml Stability. Sometimes I used also Prime directly on water to protect fish, but someone told me to not do it since it may affect cycling.
- Haze is still there, sometimes more, sometimes less.
- Ive tried to reduce fish food, and even cut it off during a day, with no changes at all.

My fish are (all rather small):
4 male guppies
1 Siamese algae eater
1 Ancistrus
6 Corydoras
5 Puntius Titteya
3 Paracheirodon Innesi
1 Danio Choprai

12 days have passed since I moved them here, I’ve had no deaths and no strange behaviours on fish. Tidal filter is at maximum, 500 L / hour.

What am I supposed to do to remove the haze? Could be useful Seachem Purigen or Seachem Clarity? If so, which of the two and will the haze be back after stop using it?

Here you got two pictures of it:
20200213-214953
20200213-214944

Kind Regards

Reactions: FreshyFresh

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Welcome. The cloudiness could be an algae bloom, diatoms, etc. that passes right through a standard filtration system. I wouldn't worry about it unless it gets worse.

The main thing is you are monitoring your water parameters, changing water and using Prime. I'd skip the stability product, but if you have it on hand, may as well use it as described.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
That isn't cloudy enough for me to be concerned, especially if you are monitoring the water.

If it's not changing, I would maybe add some finer filter media to catch finer particles.. it could be from the sand.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
For sure that cloudiness isn't bad. Nice looking start to setup as well.

Do you plan to add more substrate? That won't be enough for the rooting plants I see there.

Stephan20

Registered Member
Feb 17, 2020
Already added few days ago Sera filter wool / JBL Symec to catch finer particles from sand, but haze is still there, and its not Green (i have not a single algae on Aquarium) so i guess its just bacterial Bloom.

Yea, i plan to add a little more sand soon, when ciclying ends, because my corys loves to open caves on the corners of the aquarium... ;)

What's better idea, detox nitrite / ammonia with prime directly on aquarium or change 12L every 48h?

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Prime or the granular form Safe only temporarily detox ammonia or nitrite. I would keep up on daily water changes, still using Prime and then adjust accordingly once you're sure the tank produces just nitrates.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I would reduce feeding for a bit, so less ammonia is produced,

change water daily, and use enough prime to cover the whole volume of water in the aquarium.

And keep testing the water in the aquarium before you change water,.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store