Determine sex

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Lilchrissy

Registered Member
Oct 19, 2019
I have 2 jack dempsey that I am unsure what the sex is I want to say female but I could be wrong can someone please help

20191019_093010.jpg

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Hmm, I'm not sure. What size are they? If they're less than almost 6 inches it can be had to tell. The smaller is colored more like a female but has a longer ventral (bottom) fin. Sometimes with CA & SA cichlids the smaller weaker fish will "try to look like a female" & less threatening to a larger stronger cichlid of either sex. Do they fight or lock lips?

They both are colored like females, except for the smaller 1's bluer lips...that says male to me. A female may beat up a smaller weak male...

It can help to arrange tank décor so they are not always in each other's line of sight. Real or fake plants, wood, rocks etc may help.

What other fish do you have? I see a tail of some biggish fish in your pic...What size tank are they in?

Lilchrissy

Registered Member
Oct 19, 2019
Hmm, I'm not sure. What size are they? If they're less than almost 6 inches it can be had to tell. The smaller is colored more like a female but has a longer ventral (bottom) fin. Sometimes with CA & SA cichlids the smaller weaker fish will "try to look like a female" & less threatening to a larger stronger cichlid of either sex. Do they fight or lock lips?

They both are colored like females, except for the smaller 1's bluer lips...that says male to me. A female may beat up a smaller weak male...

It can help to arrange tank décor so they are not always in each other's line of sight. Real or fake plants, wood, rocks etc may help.

What other fish do you have? I see a tail of some biggish fish in your pic...What size tank are they in?
They are both the biggest fish in the tank they do not fight they get a long very well and always with each other and they are about 6 inches maybe a little bigger. I have a 75 gallon

The smaller one is about 5 inch and the bigger one is about 6 to 7 inches. They are the biggest fish in the tank. I have a 75 gallon tank. I have 4 convicts and 4 African chiclids. The 2 jack dempsey get along they are always with each other never fighting I have caves in both corners of the tank

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Well, I have to say we tried keeping CA & African cichlids in a tank a long time ago & it didn't work at all. Their body language is almost opposite. The head shake of CAs says "hey baby, lets breed" but that says to African cichlids "I want to kill you, get away, NOW!!"

That's not counting the Africans smaller size when this happened, they were stronger & way more aggressive! This is NOT workable stocking option long term, it will only get worse...I'm sorry.

Convicts are small aggressive breeding machines. I never tried to keep them with Dempseys but it doesn't seem like a good combo...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store