Detrius eating snails

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
Cherries do well in a broad range of ph and temp. They are sensitive to ammonia, nitrite, and require a low nitrate as well. If you were to keep them in your tank, you would need to cover your intake with a sponge or prefilter. They are very easy to keep but max out in size at about an inch. If you have alot of moss, dense plants, the mamas and babies will hide out there. They eat just about anything, from flake to algae to bloodworms to wafers. I think that your gouramis would try to eat them, but if enough dense coverage was provided they could continue to reproduce. Introduction to the tank would be tricky to prevent them from being picked off at the onset. The females can have 20-30 babies at a time. Females are bright red, males red but more translucent. They reach sexual maturity rather quickly. In females, they develop a "saddle" area behind their head which are visible ovaries. After fertilized (about 2-3 weeks) the eggs in the ovaries are transferred to the swimmerettes where it takes another 2-3 weeks for them to hatch. There is info available at www.planetinverts.com and many other sites.

grannylvsfish

have you been bad this year ??
Dec 6, 2006
Montana
Cherries do well in a broad range of ph and temp. They are sensitive to ammonia, nitrite, and require a low nitrate as well. If you were to keep them in your tank, you would need to cover your intake with a sponge or prefilter. They are very easy to keep but max out in size at about an inch. If you have alot of moss, dense plants, the mamas and babies will hide out there. They eat just about anything, from flake to algae to bloodworms to wafers. I think that your gouramis would try to eat them, but if enough dense coverage was provided they could continue to reproduce. Introduction to the tank would be tricky to prevent them from being picked off at the onset. The females can have 20-30 babies at a time. Females are bright red, males red but more translucent. They reach sexual maturity rather quickly. In females, they develop a "saddle" area behind their head which are visible ovaries. After fertilized (about 2-3 weeks) the eggs in the ovaries are transferred to the swimmerettes where it takes another 2-3 weeks for them to hatch. There is info available at www.planetinverts.com and many other sites.

awsome info!! I see I have 3 cherry shrimp ( all I could find out of 8. and one is very red, this must be a female then :) the other 2 are slight red. all the same size. How long do these live?

Bobnova

Apr 11, 2006
Covering the filter intake is very, very important, it'll suck the babies up and mince them otherwise.

Accidental testing in a tank of a friend of mine showed that they aren't especially sensitive to much of anything. (they thought the tank was empty, it wasn't, it turned into the OMG OTS vtak tank of doom) They do MUCH better with low nitrates and no ammonia/nitrites, but they can take some.

I don't know how long they live, i've never separated one out to watch it. 18 months sounds like a good estimate though.

Tryingtohelp89

Registered Member
Jul 4, 2021
My Golden Mystery Snails eat the fish waste i have in my tank. Everywhere i have read online says they wont but its not true

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store