Diatom Filter? System 1 vs Vortex?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dominator151

Registered Member
Oct 31, 2005
Diatom System 1

well I dont even know how to explain it but I love it allot , This thing cranks a crystal clean water, I use it once or twice a week for less than an hour on my 75 gallon tank. Mine creates tons of bubbles at high water level, and Sounds like a beast but i inherit this filter from a freshwater friend that had no use for it. I did and Love it

I need to find media for it , so if anyone knows please post.

Questions In these products I can help answer
Setup 1 of 3
75 gall marine fish tank
Tonga and fuji mix live rock,
excalibur skimmer
eheim wet dry canister fllter
diatom system 1, water cleanser

Dom

beviking

Senior Member, Sophomoric Attitude
Feb 16, 2002
Syracuse, NY
I agree with Joe. I have the XL and it's cumbersome at first but pretty simple once you've used it a few times. Which is pretty much all I've used mine. Once it cleared up my green water, I used it a few times after water changes. I don't think I've used it in 6+ months. Hmmm, anyone interested in renting??? :)
For media (diatomaceous earth), try the local Swimming Pool outlet.

RUSH2112

AC Members
Sep 29, 2005
I have a vortex xl and love it. You have to learn how to set them up to avoid a "white out". It takes a powerful moter to pull the water thru the diatom media. I have a Magnum 350 with carbon running full time and I just don't think it has the flow to pull thru diatoms. The vortex xl is a beast and it produces water so clear that you can't see it if you can't see the water line. Is it needed?....No but, I am a clean water freak and I love mine.

Nathane959

AC Members
Mar 4, 2005
Springfield
Yes, I have a System 1 Diatom filter I use on all my tanks. I just jump it from tank to tank. No hoses etc........ When I recieved the filter and unpacked it I thought, what a piece of junk. I wasnt impressed with its construction, and thought it was missing the plate that fills the gap between the filter and the back of your tank allowing the filter to level off. Unfortunatly they just stopped selling the plate with the unit, and not having it is no big deal seeing as how i dont keep it on the tank anyway. After using it a couple of times I came to the conclusion that its construction is fine, and after alot of use i have never had a problem. If you buy one make sure to vaseline the o-ring jar seal. This helps ease wear and tear on the o-ring, and makes the jar easier to screw on/off. The system 1 very easy to use ,and yes it filters particles as small as 1 micron. I love its size, and ease of use ( no hoses etc... ) and how well it filters. When im done I just shut it off, take it off the tank, rinse a couple of things off, and put it away in no time at all. After using it for a couple of weeks, I will never switch back to vortex, in fact i sold mine on ebay.

beviking

Senior Member, Sophomoric Attitude
Feb 16, 2002
Syracuse, NY
Pretender said:
The manual for the Vortices warns that some pool diatoms contain chlorine.
Yeah, must be some do...? It should be listed on the bag if chlorine is in there. I went through more than 1/2 a bag of the stuff with no ill affect/effect... :rant2: darn english language! Now I have to go look up the correct usage! So many words have several different meanings and some scholarly windbag had to come up with affect/effect just to make the rest of us look :duh: :huh:

TEES_91

AC Members
Aug 30, 2005
Has anyone used the Vortex XL with a gravel cleaning attachemnt? I was looking on ebay today at one and it mentions included with a gravel cleaning attachment.

RUSH2112

AC Members
Sep 29, 2005
I have a vortex xl and love it. I have not used it as a gravel vac. This is simply a hose that you screw into a coke bottle cut the bottom off and vacuum. I know you say sounds like a piece of crap but, this filter makes the water look awsome. I always use vortex (innerspace) diatoms.

Matak

Out of the blue!
Jun 18, 2002
Near Toronto
The outflow is so strong on the Vortex that you won't need a vac. Just direct the flow over your substrate and send all the detrius into the water column. It will quickly be picked up by the intake filter. Pretty efficient machine, IMO.

I use the pool powder. You can't beat a buck a pound. A lifetime supply for $10 :clap:

Raithan Ellis

I'm only crabby due to lack of beer
Jan 24, 2002
Pennsylvania
www.flickr.com
Previously I owned a Vortex, liked the unit greatly at the time (don't get me wrong, it's a nice unit), however found it a bit cumbersome and annonying to prime with the hoses and all.

Ended up getting a System 1 a few months back, and I will never go back now. No hoses to mess with, no priming as it does it all for you, and it certainly has one BIG industrial motor on it... bit loud, but you only need to run it for an hour or so anyways.

Cheers!
Raithan O. Ellis

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store