Did i plumb my overflow completely wrong? and noise issue...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bored4

AC Members
Nov 5, 2009
Michigan
This is going to be my first salt water tank and everything is completely custom.

I have the glass holes Super Nano con Dientes overflow (all plumbing is 1") with a ViaAqua 1800 return pump which flows at 480gph. But my stand is rather tall at 42", so i have 5ft of head height. my return line is 3/4", i think my pump is either a good match or a little under powered at that head height.

Theres some background now on to what my plumbing looks like and noise issue and if my plumbing is causing the noise.

sump goes Refug-->Return<--Skimmer

Behind the tank

Overflow box

Fug drain

Skimmer section. You can see theres a lot of bubbles, Also if i look at the 90 elbow i drill a hole to try and vent but doesn't really help.

Did plumb things wrong? do you see issues with it? Also the overflow box its self isn't loud, But all the air bubbles running down the plumbing is quite loud. Is there anything i can do about that?

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
At the top of the tank on the back where the black elbo is, I put a T right there and a cap on the top part, drilled a hole in the cap and put a piece of air tubing in the hold to make kind of an external durso. I think that quiets it down quite a bit.

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
Pic #2: Does water level ever go higher than the bulkhead fitting?

Pic #1, 2, 3 & 4: Any drain pipe in vertical position MAY create surging action (Suction noise) during draining depending on the volume. I prefer to run them in 30-45 degrees horixzontally to eliminate/reduce such possible surging action, sometimes minimizing noise of water running straight down as well (gravity/acceleration/speed comes into play depending on angle).

I really dont know what kind of noise you are referrring to thus can you post vid of running system?

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
At the top of the tank on the back where the black elbo is, I put a T right there and a cap on the top part, drilled a hole in the cap and put a piece of air tubing in the hold to make kind of an external durso. I think that quiets it down quite a bit.

What is drain pipe size? 2", 2-1/2"?

RiVerfishgirl

AC Members
Jan 15, 2007
Poplar Bluff, MO
Real Name
Heather
Are you talking about noise at the overflow or at the sump?

If at the overflow, the main reason is probably because you need to plumb similar to Ace's picture. Use a t and drill a hole in that, instead of just a 90 degree elbow.

bored4

AC Members
Nov 5, 2009
Michigan
The 90 has a hole with air line tubing running into it just like the T in Ace's photo. The noise is from the air running down the plumbing

Arembjorn

AC Members
Sep 18, 2010
Real Name
Jason
I wonder about something like this:
http://www.toddah.com/Pix/nano/boxpipes.jpg

Notice how the actual inlet is under water, thus muffling the sound :) You already have the air vent on yours, so all you would need to do is make it so that the entire opening is submerged. Even something like a flap/cover/hood etc over the opening so that it is then completely under the surface....

Also, as Cerianthus pointed out, I too am guessing the water just tumbles and free-falls down the pipe, so if you angled it a bit (if possible), then it would run down one side of it, lessening splashing.

I hope one of those or both are do-able and work out!

bored4

AC Members
Nov 5, 2009
Michigan
What about putting a ball value on the skimmer side as well and just restricting the flow just enough to make the pipe fill up with water and have no room for air to travel down the pipe as well?

RiVerfishgirl

AC Members
Jan 15, 2007
Poplar Bluff, MO
Real Name
Heather
The 90 has a hole with air line tubing running into it just like the T in Ace's photo. The noise is from the air running down the plumbing
It doesn't matter if the 90 degree elbow has a hole drilled. Not the same thing as using the T. The T allows more air to escape and the water flows more freely. Even if you drill a hole in the 90 degree elbow it's not going to do the same thing. It won't vent properly.

I would suggest at least trying it since it's a better setup anyway, and if that does not solve the problem then you know to look at something else. Better to try that first since it's simple instead of trying every thing else and then finding out you should have just done that in the first place.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store