difference between black and white silicone?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

blitzen25bm

AC Members
Jan 28, 2003
Visit site
should be the same, the black just looks a little better.

clayt101

Registered Abuser
You should be able to find clear silicone as well. I think this looks the best for aquarium use. Just make sure that whatever you get, that it is 100% silicone. You do not want any anti-fungicides in there.

daveedka

Purple is the color of Royalty
Jan 30, 2004
Columbus, ohio
As a general rule, silicone is color coded for charicteristics. For instance, red is high temp, blue is muti purpose, clear is an adhesive, black is oil resistant etc. Hardware store silicones are colored for asthetic purposes, As a rule clear is usually the only pure silicone, and many of the clear silicones have anti-mildew additives as mentioned. I recently bought a new tank that had a transparent black (more of a charcoal grey) silicone on it so someone is making a black aquarium silicone now. Since the clear is the best adhesive as a rule and also the purest, It would be my reccomendation, if you do chose a colored silicone, read the label carefully if it doesn't list aquariums under uses, don't use it. the additives will cause much gnashing of teeth later on.
Dave

terror

AC Members
May 23, 1999
Manila, Philippines
thanks!

daveedka said:
As a general rule, silicone is color coded for charicteristics. For instance, red is high temp, blue is muti purpose, clear is an adhesive, black is oil resistant etc. Hardware store silicones are colored for asthetic purposes, As a rule clear is usually the only pure silicone, and many of the clear silicones have anti-mildew additives as mentioned. I recently bought a new tank that had a transparent black (more of a charcoal grey) silicone on it so someone is making a black aquarium silicone now. Since the clear is the best adhesive as a rule and also the purest, It would be my reccomendation, if you do chose a colored silicone, read the label carefully if it doesn't list aquariums under uses, don't use it. the additives will cause much gnashing of teeth later on.
Dave

thanks!
i asked someone for the price of my tanks being resiliconed and it cost the price of a new 85 gallon tank??
i'm having 2nd thoughts about it having it resiliconed.

do i have to have myu tanks silicone redone/?
its 4 years old.. and it wasn't used for about a year or 2?

fishdude

so i says to the guy....
Jun 11, 2003
winchester VA
Visit site
i wouldnt thinkk you would need to unless there is mildew and stuff then i would definetly do it but otherwise if its not leaking and isnt mildewish (is that a word?) then i wouldnt.

StreetCypher

AC Members
Apr 18, 2004
vancity, BC
Visit site
If the silicone is cracking or dry i'd redo it.
If you push on it and it is still soft (as opposed to crumbly) then i would say its still ok. Also, if the edges are separating from the glass then i'd redo it.

Where was it stored? I bought a used 55g that was stored under a porch for about 1/2 year and the silicone was still ok. It survived the winter being outside. If it was stored indoors its probably fine.

Last edited:

daveedka

Purple is the color of Royalty
Jan 30, 2004
Columbus, ohio
The only two things that really break down silicone are certain chemical solvents, and sunlight. if it was stored in the dark ( away from direct sunlight), I wouldn't think it would need resealed. I stored several of my tanks in a storage building for 7 years without a problem. Cold and heat (within reason) didn't matter. An easy test is to set it on newspaper In the garge or somewhere similar) Make sure it's level and fill it. let it sit for a week, if the newspaper doesn't get wet the tank is fine. the only other thing to worry about is if the tank has been set up unlevel and stressed the seams. but I have put many used tanks back in service if you set it up level, and it isn't already damaged there shouldn't be much to worry about.
Dave

terror

AC Members
May 23, 1999
Manila, Philippines
thanks!

N8DOGG said:
It would cost like $20 to re silicone it yourself if not less than that under $10

does it leak?? I have a 10 gallon that was out of use in the basment for like 10 years and it still hold water great.

the silicone is still soft :)
it was stored indoors:)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store