Different Clown Breeds

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Robert04

Aspiring Self Proclaimed Expert
Dec 31, 2008
That makes alot of sense.. But I have noticed my generic damsels that don't seem to schoal very much are more aggressive than my chromis which enjoy the company of a partner or even other fish. Can you explain that for me?

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Which part? Many damsels, especially Chrysiptera, don't shoal at all. They live in loose, spaced aggregations where each has a decent territory--usually the size of an entire tank. That is why they are aggressive, because they have defined territory. Chromis don't really define territories so much, but they have a heavy hierarchy, as do most shoaling fish. Chromis and similar fish will appreciate other fish out in the open, as it lets them know there is no danger in the open area. These other fish are known as "dither" fish. Normally, other Chromis would play this role.

zeeter

AC Members
Jan 24, 2010
Well, my percs have begun to shoo-away the damsels and move about the tank a bit. Maybe they're just starting to become more comfortable in the tank. Plus my water chemistry has drastically improved over the last couple of days. Maybe they're just feeling better and have become more aggressive.

Would getting an anemone help some? I know I should wait awhile before getting one, but well the percs be more comfortable knowing they have the shelter of a green-tip?

zeeter

AC Members
Jan 24, 2010
I got fed up with the damsels. Traded them in today. I got four green chromis and two pj cardinals. Now everyone seems a bit more bold swimming about the tank.

<3Oscar

AC Members
Mar 28, 2009
IA, USA
I had a damsel in my tank early on and it bullied every fish in sight. We eventually had to give him a new home. However, our blue-green chromis are model citizens.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store