Different Cory Cats...same selling name????

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

PJGirl112

AC Members
Feb 22, 2005
Rockford, IL
I was just wondering since the LPS are selling all these cory cats under "Juli Cory"...I have 7 cory cats (in two separate tanks). 2 have no black stripes, but are white with black dotted patterns, 1 has one black stripe over the eyes and black spots and 4 have one black stripe over their eye and also one leading from belly to dorsal fin with black body spots. The last two groups seem to be schooling and hanging out together...so I have to wonder are there differences in the Juli Cory species??? Or have I just mixed two different fish???

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
More likely, you have a mix of varieties. Species identification is pretty poor at most LFS, and with WC fish, you end up with a lot of errors.

greendeltatke

AC Members
Mar 28, 2005
Chicago
The corydora encyclopedia page (follow the link on this site) has an interesting corydora identification program. You answer a series of questions and find your species through the process of elimination.

PJGirl112

AC Members
Feb 22, 2005
Rockford, IL
I think I may have a mutt on my hands. LOL I have looking for over an hour on the internet and in the encyclopedia for another cory that looks like mine w/o much luck.

The only thing I can think of is that he was bought in St. Louis about 8 years ago and the others are all approximately 1/2-1 year old bought in Rockford, IL. They probably came from different suppliers.

Thanks for the info...

Kissofthegorami

Broke College Student
Feb 24, 2005
Boston,MA
There are like 5 or 6 types of cories sold as Julii. I have a mix as well. Some are real Juli (rarely) and the rest are three stripe cory or similar. Real Julii have just dots on their head, not reticulated.

CorydorasLover

AC Members
Jun 17, 2005
Denver, Colorado
Indeed, many types of cories are being solds as "Julii", but a genuine Julii is pretty hard to get. Actually, the first corydoras that I bought, were also sold as the Julii, but they are actually Corydoras Trillineatus.

PJ, is it possible for you to show us some pics of those cories?

Scottish_Sara

Idaho_Blue
Mar 21, 2005
Glasgow, Scotland.
Cory's here in the U.K are sold under this too.

I think you really have to know what you are looking for with Cory's, before you go get them, and do a little research!!

Help would come in the form of a pic, if you can post it, BUT, IMHO, overlying that....... is the fact you have an "8 year old cory"!!!

CONGRAT'S & WE'LL DONE!!!

If i have my 4 for 8 year's, and they are all still healthy, you can all be witnesses (With an invitation), to watch me doing cartwheel's and backflip's down my VERY long street, cheering very loudly and stark naked!!!

:thm:

PJGirl112

AC Members
Feb 22, 2005
Rockford, IL
I have spent a few hours on the internet...and here's what I have come up with...the four new cory cats look like they are sail-fin cories and I put the old (8-year old) cory cat in with these when I set up the 40G.

As near as I can tell, my old cory cat has no definate breed. He may just be old, but he has a very distinctive pattern and seems to be a survivor. If you look at the pcture posted above he is obviously adjusted well to having the sail-fin cories around and schools with them. He is the BIG one in the picture with no dorsal back stripe. Honestly all the fish looked alike (which is why I mixed them) until I really started to watch them and noticed the stripe difference.

He seems happy to have friends and that seems to be the bottom line. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store