Diffusing Ram aggression

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Devakalpa

AC Members
May 24, 2011
Hi all,

I have a surviving Ram from a set of 3 after a heat spell that even Rams could not tolerate :(. I am sure it is a female, it has spangles on the dark spot, dorsal fin is not very extended, etc. Tank is 24 gallon with 6 Sterba's Cory, 5 Rummynose Tetras, 3 Cardinal Tetras and a single Angel. TDS 120, kH 3, pH 6.8, NO3 <10, temp around 29-30 degrees C. It has sandy bottom, many driftwoods, 2 coconut shell caves, plenty of river pebbles of various sizes and some Crytpts, Anubias and Java ferns. Indian Almond leaves as well....many hiding places but not densely planted.

Now the question. She is the queen bee now. I got a Male (I think) of a similar size and he was chased and stressed to death in 2 days. I got a marginally larger Blue Ram yesterday, a male (I think again from finnage) and introduced him at night. In the morning it was continuous chase again. I netted the female, rearranged everything, reintroduced her and she is at it again, though somewhat moderated.

Do I observe, pray and hope for a easing out? Can I try the Mbuna approach and introduce a couple more to diffuse her aggression? Or will that be the proverbial 'from frying pan to the fire'?

Thanks a lot
Devakalpa

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
Multiple targets for that aggression does tend to reduce individual pressure. The other thing is to increase line of sight breaks. If the each fish can't see each other from more places in the tank that also would reduce aggression.

One other thing that might help is if the condition of the new fish introduced is excellent that would tend to reduce perceived competition. It takes less resources to maintain good condition than to bring a poor condition fish up to good condition. So an existing fish would sense less competition for food if the new fish is fit and fine. That would be another benefit to a longer quarantine stay.

Now if you do have multiple fish and two end up pairing up you might have to watch carefully in that event. What is fine socially as a bunch of singles might turn sour for the remaining single fish. Two against any one other is not good odds for the single fish.

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
You might try adding a couple more females and a male. Rams, like most fish, pair up for the duration of the spawn. The other suggestions are, IMO, good ones. When you introduce the new fish, try doing it at night, after lights out.

Mark

Devakalpa

AC Members
May 24, 2011
Thanks a lot SnakeIce and Mark for your observations. The good news is she has calmed down and they are a twosome now :). The change of decor seems to have done the trick by formatting the disk!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store