dino eel, african butterfly tankmates

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishstoreguy

AC Members
Jan 20, 2005
Lincoln, Nebraska
hello forum, I have a 44 gal I bought used real cheap. So far I have an african butterfly and a medium sized dinosaur eel (polypterus palmas) I have a couple a questions to throw out there. First I know some of the habits of the african butterfly but mine seems pretty lethargic even for this kind of fish. I expected him to swim around a bit at night but it doesn't seem like he is...any thoughts? second I was wondering about adding a mid level semi aggressive swimmer like a needle fish or something. I don't think it would be overstocked at that point. I also plan on adding a bristelnose pleco in the future when he actually has some algae to eat. thanks for the responses (if there are any).

Veneer

AC Members
Dec 20, 2004
Needlefish (Xenentodon cancila) are brackish-water top-swimmers and will never thrive in fully freshwater conditions.

Last edited:

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
African butterfly fish are a lurker predator--they don't swim around much, but rather hide out in floating plants or wood and wait for food to swim by. They are interesting, but not active.

You might want to look into a pair of kribs or other small cichlid, like a pair of rams. Mid-water to bottom, pretty, more active.

LMOUTHBASS

My hypocrisy goes only so far
Jun 17, 2003
Boston , MA
Visit site
Real Name
Mark
I'd also like to point out for the sake of the pleco that they need more than just algae to live. Be sure to supplement it's diet with algae wafers and fresh veggies like summer squash and zucchinni. Boil it first till soft and it will sink right to the bottom.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store