Disaster Strikes!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

garyfla

AC Members
Apr 23, 2010
Hi
probably the worst was hurricane Frances lol, High winds had removed part of the roof so rainwater was dripping into a 150 Sw tank .
Removed all the lights and equipment but a tree was pushed over pulling up the foundation under the tank . A four foot crack appeared accross the back and all the water cam e roaring out . Put the animals in tub used for water making but couldn't find a place that was not getting rainwater lol. so covered with plastic sheeting. Lights were out a total of 22 days !!! Needless to say not only lost all the animals but also the tank and stand as well as equipment. How's that for a disaster??? lol
gary

hope4peace

AC Members
Nov 14, 2007
White Mountains of NH
Real Name
Amanda
Hi
probably the worst was hurricane Frances lol, High winds had removed part of the roof so rainwater was dripping into a 150 Sw tank .
Removed all the lights and equipment but a tree was pushed over pulling up the foundation under the tank . A four foot crack appeared accross the back and all the water cam e roaring out . Put the animals in tub used for water making but couldn't find a place that was not getting rainwater lol. so covered with plastic sheeting. Lights were out a total of 22 days !!! Needless to say not only lost all the animals but also the tank and stand as well as equipment. How's that for a disaster??? lol
gary

Thats terrible. Did you have any insurance that covered the damage?

spirofucci

AC Members
Jan 6, 2011
Harlingen, Texas
Here's mine: Many years ago our washing machine flooded the whole house with hardwood floors. Insurance co replaced the floors. Two months later, I set up a beautiful 120 gal african tank with lots of rock sculptures. After a month the bottom busted while we at work. Cam home to a flooded floor again and lost all the fish. Believe it or not the insurance co replaced the floor again. It was a long time ago so we can laugh about now!

Riiz

Apocalypse Pony
Apr 16, 2008
So Cal
Real Name
Eric
had something similar happen, the first month or so into the hobby i had one of those glass floating thermometers, and i liked to pick it up, drop it and it would bounce to the bottom, and bounce back up. one day, i did it a little to hard. the bottom smashed on the gravel and all the mercury came out into the tank.
Those aquarium thermometers are filled with alcohol, its relatively safe in an aquarium. Only lab or professional grade equipment will still use mercury.

garyfla

AC Members
Apr 23, 2010
Amanda
Toatal bill for repairs to the house was around 10 grand lo. Cost 800 bucks to have the tree removed alone. Insurance did not cover the aquarium at all. I semi repaired the tank converting to FW and moved it to the GH. It is now serving as a terraium as it was too expensive to repair properly. Might also mention that the insurance co dropped us . Feel fortunate that the house was still livable during repairs unlike so many others!!!! gary

To3kn33

AC Members
Jul 3, 2010
London
Real Name
Tony
crazy............ makes me scared to check my tanks joints!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store