Discus and Sand

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
actualy you may not see discus in sand(naturel setting) they prefer calm waters with dead litter(read acidic)
I imagine part of the concern may be what has been mentioned..(gas pockets, compacted sand etc)
many breeders prefer Bare bottom..keep in mind discus like to forage and eat stuff off the bottom of the tanks..sand in gills-irritation-infection..I dunno..just thoughts to ponder.

my discus are in planted tanks..with gravel bottoms.

are these young discus? if so..they would be best kept in BB tanks.

TimmyB42386

PO'd Crawdad
Dec 15, 2006
New Jersey
actualy you may not see discus in sand(naturel setting) they prefer calm waters with dead litter(read acidic)
I imagine part of the concern may be what has been mentioned..(gas pockets, compacted sand etc)
many breeders prefer Bare bottom..keep in mind discus like to forage and eat stuff off the bottom of the tanks..sand in gills-irritation-infection..I dunno..just thoughts to ponder.

my discus are in planted tanks..with gravel bottoms.

are these young discus? if so..they would be best kept in BB tanks.
will sand in gills actually cause an irratation? I don't know, I would like to see some info on that subject of whether it does or doesen't, interesting thought.

kmail5776

SR20 Powered
Nov 28, 2005
Yes, I am getting 10 about 1-2 inches. Star_rider, I will definately keep that in mind. Thanks.
I am growing out 5 in a 30 gallon (I'm going to have to drop my pop. to 2 very soon :mad2: ), and I have very little gravel in the tank. I'm talking form experience, growing fish from 1-2 inches to now 5-6+, and just to let you know, they need lots of food and lots of clean water. I think 10 in a 55 would be okay for a bit, but you definitely would want to upgrade your tank size or move out half your population after a few months.

Discus grow pretty fast. I've seen full grown 7-9 inch discus that people have claimed grew in about 9-12 months. For growth like that, you need to feed a lot. A schedule of 3 feeding/day is optimum. And by the way, discus are like goldfish, they can eat a lot, they poo just as much. Because of this, cleaning after feedings is recommended. A pwc schedule of 50% 2-3x a week is optimum. Some say less, but I've been pretty religious about 50% 3x a week. This keeps the water clean.

Now the problems come in when you have stuff on the bottom. If you like to take your time meticulously cleaning the gravel, and decorations, have fun. You might be looking at some pretty long water changes to clean everything. If you don't clean everything, of course, the water quality suffers. Mostly breeders keep a bare bottom tank for ease of cleaning. Any detrius that falls to the bottom of the tank is easy to see, and easy to clean. Same thing for decoration, no need to bother cleaning around them. Clean tanks ensure clean water, = happy discus.

I'm not sure how much time and effort you are going to put into this, but having a sand bottom would definitely increase the effort you will need to raise discus. I don't know about the other issues, like compaction, irritated gills, or plants, but this is my 2 cents on your issue.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
Yes, I am getting 10 about 1-2 inches. Star_rider, I will definately keep that in mind. Thanks.
bare bottom tank..feed 3-4 X per day change water 3 or more times per week..the more the better..I usually change 40-50% but it depends..with high stocking levels more is better. remove uneaten food .

10 in the 1-2" range are young. what size tank??

you probably mentioned but I'm lazy:dance2:

clean water keeps the discus healthy..also keep the temp at least 84 degrees F.
discus are great fish if you keep them heathy you will have many hears of enjoyment.

I raise discus, angels, keyholes, rams..my discus are my favorite. with wild scalare close behind(talk about a pain)

ann6015

AC Members
Feb 21, 2007
phenix city, AL
No where in this thread does it say that I am putting 10 discus in a 55 gal. I am putting them in a 150 gal. I do have two 55 gal, one with angels, and the other with blood parrots. Thanks star_rider for the information. I am a stay at home mom, with lots of spare time to devote to all of my fish. Thanks everyone for your replies.

kmail5776

SR20 Powered
Nov 28, 2005
oops, sry about the 10 in a 55. Bad assumption. Good luck with your fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store