Discus fins black

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ANUPAM SAXENA

Registered Member
Apr 17, 2018
Dear Sir,

I have two discus and their down fins are little black. Also they are not eating aggressively.

I am also attaching a pic of the same for your reference. Kindly advise.

Thanks,
Anupam

Discus Fins Black.jpg

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Welcome to AC! You might get a better response in the angel/discus cichlid forum.

Both fish look to me to have frayed fins...what are your water parameters; ammonia, nitrite & nitrate? How often do you change water & how much each time? What foods do you feed & how often? What size tank? Any other fish? How long have you had them?

We need a lot of info, help us to help your fish. They look to need some help, what size are they? Tell us everything...& then we'll ask some more.

When any problems arise in my tanks my first answer is to change water, a lot & often.

ANUPAM SAXENA

Registered Member
Apr 17, 2018
Hi,
Thanks a lot for your response and my answers are below.

Daily I am changing water around 50%. Currently i am giving tubifex and blood worms 3 times a day. Tank size is 10 Gallon as I can't afford big size. I have purchased them on 10th of this month. Size i don't know may be 2-3 inches.
I don't have a kit to check water parameters like ammonia, nitrite & nitrate but for coming down the PH I have put Almond leaves and changing water regularly so that ammonia can't raise up.

Thanks,
Anupam

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Oh dear, a 10g is way, way too small for even 2 smallish discus. There's no way this can work even in the short term. Please, just give them back to the shop.

If a 10g is all you have room for you need to think about keeping fish that only grow to an inch or so.

ANUPAM SAXENA

Registered Member
Apr 17, 2018
Mam,
In India there is no return policy of fishes.
Can they fine in 20 gallon tank if so I can transfer them there.

Thanks,
Anupam

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
No! Not in a 20g either. I say the minimum is a 4ft 75g for the short term. Discus get to be big fish, 6 inches in diameter...& they prefer to be kept in groups of at least 6...(or mated true M & F compatible pair in a minimum of a 29g) (30 inches x 12 x 20 high)...but only if you have another tank to raise any fry in.

Discus are a lot of work!! Daily water changes & several feedings per day was what I tried to give them...but I'm not sure I want to try them any time soon again

Liam_mcG

Registered Member
Jan 17, 2019
If you using that tank as quarantine it is fine, but as long as you have another tank set up to put them in.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store