Discus questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ccorrow

AC Members
Mar 28, 2005
Maryland
N8DOGG; I have heard that discus like having numbers... I was thinking of adding 2 more to the community tank, but wanted to not add all at once. I think I have reached my limit on the 55 gal w/ what I have (listed above in comment to Harry). I have set up a 20 gal to shift some fish over to allow the discus more room in the 55 gal. Think I should add them now? Not sure what Harry is going to come back w/ on treatment of my Blue snakeskin...

Harry Tolen

Cichlid Fan
Aug 17, 2000
Union, WA, USA
NO SALT. No pH ADJUSTER. NO NEW DISCUS. Increase your water changes to 30% or more 3x per week. Test your water right out of the tap for GH, KH, and pH, and then again after letting it stand for 24 hours, and report the results back here. Make sure your water is treated with chlorine and not chloramines...there is a big difference and you use different neutralizers depending on which you have. The salt, pH adjuster, and water softening "pillow" are all making conditions in your tank worse, and your low % water changes are allowing organic pollutants to build up to a level where they are irritating the discus and impairing their immune system as well.

If your discus does not improve with improved water conditions, you may need to try an antibiotic, but that would not recommended as a first course of action. If you do wind up going this route, then levamisole (available, I believe, in a product called Disco-med) would be your best bet. However, your problems are coming from your water conditions, and until you get those resolved nothing else will help.

I also highly recommend that you get a book that deals in detail with water parameters (GH, KH, pH, etc.), as well as a book about discus, and read them both before investing in any additional fish. Tetra's Guide to Maintaining a Healthy Aquarium and the Handbook of Fish Health are both quite good, as are all the volumes of Baensch's Aquarium Atlas (volume one will have the most basic info, though).

fishstoreguy

AC Members
Jan 20, 2005
Lincoln, Nebraska
I would try feeding frozen foods like mysis shrimp. Even finicky eaters take to it plus much more nutritional than brine. Also I have read an article by Jack Watley (discus expert) in a magazine about feeding garlic to Discus with food. It's supposed to stimulate appetite and help with internal bacterial infections. Time is an improtant factor. As in how long the tank has been set up vs. interval of adding new fish. Discus are very tempermental about water and stress. Some alternate tankmates might help like blue rams or some tetras like lemon tetras also do well in hot water and aren't too big or fast to stress discus. They don't like fast swimmers and a lot of movement in a tank. A ver sedentary fish. hope that helps.

wayne

AC Members
Dec 17, 2002
Stavanger, Norway
Visit site
I would definitely increase the number of water changes to at least twice a week.
Young discus are very nervy - your response is not atypical. Good ,relaxed conditions and lots of other discus make them feel better

ccorrow

AC Members
Mar 28, 2005
Maryland
Harry Tolen said:
NO SALT. No pH ADJUSTER. NO NEW DISCUS. Increase your water changes to 30% or more 3x per week. Test your water right out of the tap for GH, KH, and pH, and then again after letting it stand for 24 hours, and report the results back here.
Okay Harry. Will do. I did a water change last night appx 35%, however I did use the ph adj to put at 6.8%... no salt, and the de-chlor. I maintained a temp of 84%. I'll look for something to house the water for setting 24 hrs (I like the 'no chemicals' approach much better! I found a book at the Fish store last night and it appears to have a mound of info... I does recommend that I separate the "sick" Discus in a 10 gal tank set up from the 55 gal (gravel, water, etc..) I have set it up and it is ready and I aslo bought gram positive meds (antibiotic) to have on hand. I'll let you know where I am tomorrow! Thanks again!

Harry Tolen

Cichlid Fan
Aug 17, 2000
Union, WA, USA
Well, you get full credit for being highly pro-active in this situation. One small clarification. I wasn't intending that you start adding water without treating it; I was suggesting that you test it after it stood for 24 hours out of the tap because sometimes water system treatments have a temporary effect on the water as it comes out of the tap, and 24 hrs. later, after it has had a chance to stand, it comes in with different values when tested. Also, if you are going to let it stand, you should aerate it (bubbles) and heat it so that it rises to the same temperature as your tank. For this type of preparation any old Rubbermaid tub will do, as long as it has never been used with any kind of soap or detergent-based products.

ccorrow

AC Members
Mar 28, 2005
Maryland
So far, so good. the water change certainly seemed to do good. Wish I knew in advance that 2x vs. 1x per wk could make that much difference. My mind in boggled w/ the info on the Discus... didn't realize they were so particular... I moved some fish that were "fast moving" fr the 55g to the 20g. The Blue boy seems to be picking up, color much better, fins on back stand up more than not, the one eye is a beautiful red and he EAT last night for the 1st time in days... Wonder what happened???? Guess I'm more confused now than before, but am certainly more prepared. I need to learn MUCH MORE on diagnosis w/ discus... Thanks for your help! If all is well this weekend, I'll get two more tank mates and move the Rasboroughs (sp) to the 20g. I can't wait to get home and see what he looks like... Just one question... How did you pick up on the STRESS thing before assuming it was bacterial...? I have MUCH to learn, especially now! (should have done this before diving into discus)... BIG THANKS ANYWAY TO YOU... I'm sure Blue Boy is very thankful as I am.

Lobo.

sheep in wolf's clothing
Feb 24, 2005
Nashville
arn't you supposed to keep discus alone? or just w/ small fish like neons? maybe you should have a separate tank for the discus so you can add more, and make shure that they arn't stressed out

Mar 24, 2005
Canada
I've also heard that garlic is a good appetite stimulant for discus fish. If you have a pet store that specializes in fish nearby they'd probably have something there, there are lots of discus products. I heard it works best and most naturally if you feed the discus live food which has been fed garlic or if the garlic additives have been added to the live foods water instead of putting it directly in with the discus.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store