DIY 3D background

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

guppy226

AC Members
Jan 30, 2009
Hamilton, OH
looking good so far, and im so glad that you decided to beef up that stand, thats the first thing i noticed.

reefdiver

AC Members
Oct 1, 2010
Arkansas
Real Name
Rene
i was looking at other 3D builds on you tube and i saw this guy using a torch to scorch the out side of the styrofoam it look good after it was done. Maybe it will help you on your build. But it looks great cant wait to see the end result.

shewolfgeo

AC Members
Oct 14, 2008
Eastern Kentucky
www.facebook.com
Real Name
Shandy
I saw one where a guy used a grinner to smooth areas up. I like that, wished my hubby had one too. I'm going to try to trim the back some, about an inch so that there is more room in the tank for the fish to swim.

shewolfgeo

AC Members
Oct 14, 2008
Eastern Kentucky
www.facebook.com
Real Name
Shandy
I noticed your HOB filter intake will be behind your background. Are you worried at all about getting good filtration in your tank?
The main top isn't going to be flushed to the back of the tank. I angled it so water could get to the filter. The filter is also a whisper 30-60 model, so hopefully it'll put off enough movement, and should. After painting it I'm going to do a test run with it and the filter and see how everything does. I'll going to use rocks to hold the piece down and fill with water and check everything.
I made that area big enough so I can get my hand in it, so if I needed I can get to the intake.

I still have to do some trimming before I can paint. I just done a trim to the back and I have to refit the filter and heater to it.

rockhoe14er

AC Members
Jul 19, 2010
Richmond VA
Real Name
Sean
actually i think it would help. What would be the best would be to put a small pump behind your background and just have a small opening aka cave or something where the jet can go though and try to get the jet to spay across the bottom of your tank. You can cover the jet mostly with gravel so it' won't be obvious at all. This will push help keep all the waste off the ground and go into your HOB where you want it to go. It will also mean that you will almost never have to gravel vac the substrate as well and it will keep it looking amazing with little upkeep on your part.

shewolfgeo

AC Members
Oct 14, 2008
Eastern Kentucky
www.facebook.com
Real Name
Shandy
I got to looking and I have a small pump that I can set behind the background. It's actually a co2 diffuser pump that moves the water, and I can add co2 to the tank if I want. But it'll be low tech tank for now. So I just need to cut some of the background to place the pump at.

I'll get some photos up soon.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store