DIY Baby bristlenose pleco trap

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

BioHazard

Here and There
Mar 15, 2009
PA
I need to get rid of some of these little guys, but catching baby BNs in a well planted, gravel bottomed tank is NOT easy. So, I decided to try the inverted water bottle trick on them.

Very super classy trap. I put in algae wafers as bait.

A couple minutes after adding it. You can already see a couple victims!

And, around 30 minutes later!

Dang brigs...Still, a good haul!

Mama ruined the second attempt by capturing herself, lol

BNs, ready to go!

So, this technique worked great for me! MUCH faster than netting.

BioHazard

Here and There
Mar 15, 2009
PA
Oh I love seeing bunches of babies together!! They're so cute!!
They are OODLES of adorable, but sneaky as heck. Super hard to net them, as they are small, flat, stick the the walls and rarely swim around in the open water.

dixienut

AC Members
Jun 15, 2006
Hookstown/Georgetown area pennsylvania
wow howd mama fit in there,..lol its just s reg. 20 bottle isn't it? you'd think her head would be too big?

but then again, i don't have adults just 2 inch babies,.. and it will be a while before they get that big,..lol

looks like babies are just a little over inch? correct?

Ashes2ashes

Smash the owl!
May 4, 2010
Cola town SC
Real Name
Ash
aww cute lil babies. :D

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
Put a hole in the cap just large enough for the fry only. It will help to keep out the larger lifeforms you don't want. I use this idea to catch my dwarf shrimp and manage to keep out the cories and most of the guppies.

BioHazard

Here and There
Mar 15, 2009
PA
wow howd mama fit in there,..lol its just s reg. 20 bottle isn't it? you'd think her head would be too big?

but then again, i don't have adults just 2 inch babies,.. and it will be a while before they get that big,..lol

looks like babies are just a little over inch? correct?
It must have been a TIGHT fit. Goofy pleco.

Yeah, the babies really range in size, from a little over one inch, to a little over 1/2 inch.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store