DIY Bio-Nitrate filter

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

AbbeysDad

AC Members
Nov 7, 2011
Real Name
Michael
Just something to think about, but I believe that zero nitrates in a tank can help promote certain kinds of algae. I'm not 100% on that, but I think it's right. Could cause all new worries if you keep the tank steadily at that level. Maybe someone else can chime in to confirm/deny.
Actually it's the reverse - high nitrates promotes algae growth. As a matter of fact, often algae's are encouraged in sumps and refugiums to consume nitrates to keep algae out of the main tank. There are also algae 'filters' used to remove nitrates (just as plants can remove nitrates).
Fresh water in nature does not have nitrates.

AbbeysDad

AC Members
Nov 7, 2011
Real Name
Michael
No failure on my part. Like I said the result is the same.
Well actually it's not anything like the same result. Again, lets assume the tank nitrates are very low and the DIY filter can handle most/all tank generated nitrates. Water changes (using filtered DI water) can be less frequent and/or lower volume.
John of Aquaripure claims that with zero nitrates, good mechanical filtration and the occasional use of activated carbon, a partial water change is only required once every three (3) months or so.
I don't think I'd go that long, but you see my thinking of being able to cut back to 10g's or so a week.

AbbeysDad

AC Members
Nov 7, 2011
Real Name
Michael
My order arrived with the Fluval Nitrate Remover and the API Tap Water Filter.
I did a 15g (bottled) water change and added the Nitrate Remover to the AC70 filter. I added another 6 capfuls of the Seachem Stability along with some filter sponge squeezing directly in the inlet tube of the DIY filter.
In 24hrs. the tank nitrates stabilized at about 20ppm. I removed the nitrate remover and began the salt water recharge.
I'm going to monitor nitrates daily and see what happens.

I setup the API Tap Water Filter and made 15g of DI water for the next water change.

AbbeysDad

AC Members
Nov 7, 2011
Real Name
Michael
So I did the 15g water change w/DI water and installed the Fluval Nitrate Remover (FNR). The nitrates came down to 5-10ppm and I removed the FNR. The nitrates have held at 5-10ppm for several days now, but there is no objective evidence that the diy filter is reducing/managing nitrates at this point. The API nitrate test is okay, but subtle changes can't really be measured and since it's uncertain how much the tank is generating, it's only with time and/or clear nitrate reduction I would dare claim success.
I'll report again if/when there's progress...or not.

AbbeysDad

AC Members
Nov 7, 2011
Real Name
Michael
In the interest of even better filtration and nitrate removal, I added another canister containing well washed pool filter sand. The canister design is the same except on this one I used a glue gun instead of silicone to secure the fittings in the top. The water flows into the bottom of the denitrate canister, up and out the top down to the bottom of the sand canister, then out the top back to the tank.

View attachment 193830

002-w.jpg

Goodcreature

AC Members
Sep 9, 2011
Have you determined yet if your nitrate filter is working? Clearly there was significant improvement in your nitrate levels, but has the filter worked?

Congratulations on your success!

Samsmobb

AC Members
Feb 1, 2012
Gaithersburg Maryland
Easiest way to determine is use a controlled sample ie, set up a 10 gallon tank with your diy filter installed and let it run for my suggested rate of 1-2months to let bb colonize and determine any change

AbbeysDad

AC Members
Nov 7, 2011
Real Name
Michael
Easiest way to determine is use a controlled sample ie, set up a 10 gallon tank with your diy filter installed and let it run for my suggested rate of 1-2months to let bb colonize and determine any change
That's what I'm doing with my 60g. The idea here is to reduce the nitrates in the main tank - I don't really care about a DOE (design of experiments) as I only need to achieve results, not prove to the world that Seachem Matrix/De*Nitrate works.

AbbeysDad

AC Members
Nov 7, 2011
Real Name
Michael
Have you determined yet if your nitrate filter is working? Clearly there was significant improvement in your nitrate levels, but has the filter worked?

Congratulations on your success!
Thanks, but I can't claim victory yet.
I'm not yet convinced. It was holding at about 10ppm for 2-3 weeks, but then I added about a dozen Platy fry from a fry tank that are now big enough not to be food. Following that, it seemed nitrates were increasing some. I can say that the filter is handling ammonia and nitrites, but I'm not convinced yet that the filter is handling nitrates.

Goodcreature

AC Members
Sep 9, 2011
Oh. In that case, keep us posted on your findings. This is quite interesting! I had never heard of any like this before I saw your thread.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store