Diy build: planning stage

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bad.fish2

Registered Member
Jan 14, 2023
New Hampshire
Real Name
Chris
After a 10 year+ hiatus from the hobby, I'm looking to break ground on making a return with a DIY custom tank. The space available will be approximately 10' long by 6' deep by 6'tall ~2600 gallons. The web site seems to have had some changes, I had saved many threads for quick reference. I started this thread as a way to organize/plan/ document progress and brain storm.

Finally at a place in life to be able to build a custom set up. I would advise checking with building codes and leaving a project like this to the professionals.

Will need a glass or acrylic panel 6' by 10'.

bad.fish2

Registered Member
Jan 14, 2023
New Hampshire
Real Name
Chris
Plan:

Shore up wall in living room (for glass panel) using I beam collums
Build bump out for tank on house, will be poured concrete for tank, layered with 2x4s, insulation, siding on outside with doors for access.
Multiple sun tubes on roof to provide natural sun light during day
R/o set up

Keeping tank this size in its own isolated hutch being important to contain humidity from creating mold in house, being able to contain heat of water, being able to access and keep equipment in own area. May put on own electrical panel or sub panel with generator hook up (live in cold climate).

Goal: saltwater reef tank
Sand bed, 2500+ pounds live rock

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Hope your floor can handle 25,00+ pounds.....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store