DIY Cave Ideas

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

nagukush

AC Members
Jan 1, 2008
Hi Friends !

I want to make some CAves for my Fronts. Just wanted to request for some ideas and guidance.

I already have about 4 caves for them (made out of small clay pots - earthernware) and I want to make some multistoried caves for them. I also want to make a Big DIY Center Piece with lots of caves for the fronts swim thru.

Kindly give me some easy and simple ideas as I'm not able to get good rocks here...

Thanks !
Kush

Tophat665

Minion of the Scaled Ones.
Jul 13, 2006
NoVa
I have a cave complex in my 50 gallon loach tank that's made from two flowerpots (about pint sized) sliced in half longways, and propped on each other, then covered in a half dozen sheets of red shale (all cleaved from a single slab I bought for about $5) with a thick growth of java moss on it. Looks like a big, mossy mound.

In my 110, I cut 2" PVC pipes into about 8 sections, 6 to 14" long, put them in and arranged them with the rockwork so that one end is out, then put the substrate in to cover them about halfway and concealed them with more rockwork and plants. Bichirs dig it.

If I were doing one again (and I will be), I would use drainage ditch granite, sledgehammered to appropriate sized chunks, and epoxied together in stages in a wooden frame (built to the dimensions of the part of the tank I want it to be in). That's what I'll be doing for my 40 gallon Tanganyika tank (Unless I can find a really good deal on slate - by which I mean nearly free.)

1oooop

int x; if {x>1} {std::cout
Jun 5, 2008
here, there, everywhere
game.uctrl.net
Real Name
Brandon
I'd suggest the PVC, maybe if you want you can use clay and glaze it

john_auberry

AC Members
Oct 23, 2005
I sent this in a PM

1 go to lowes and buy 1 inch thick foam board and cut it up and hot glue them to whatever shape you want.

2 using your hand put a coat of 1# or 2# portland cement. Do not use 3# 4# or 5# as they contain mold and mildew blockers they will kill your fish.
I like 2 part cement, 1 part non silica sand, 1 part crush coral.

3 after the first coat of cement sets four about two hours mix up more cement and throw it at your cave. The layer of spattered cement makes it look natural. U can also add quick crete brand coloring into this step. I did a piece for one guy and spattered black then gray then a little brown, and it looked very realistic. Rit fabric die can be used but u have to set it in salt water for a week to set the die to keep it from leaking into the water.

4 lightly place wet towels over it and wet them everyday for about 3 days. The longer it cures the stronger it is.

5 take acidtion (finger nail remover) and spray it on the foam and it will melt away leaving your rock hollow.

6soak it in water for 2-5 weeks changing water ever few days. The cave is ready when the PH of the water is around 7.2

Its fun get your kids involved they will have a blast throwing cement.

john_auberry

AC Members
Oct 23, 2005
Thorite can be used instead of cement but it cost 4X more then cement but you dont have to soak it in water for two weeks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store