DIY Excel Questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

xVitox

Daphnia Wrangler
Feb 16, 2010
Downingtown, Pa
I was wondering if anyone here uses a chemical for DIY Fluorish Excel. I have heard about it but cannot find much information on it. So any knowledge on the topic (ie articles, personal experiences, webpages, threads, opinions) would be very beneficial! Thanks!

dbosman

AC Members
Dec 5, 2010
East Lansing, MI USA
Cidex or Metricide 14 are the two most common solutions. Before we get arguments started, I'm not going to talk about making your own out of material from ampules. Glutaraldehyde at stronger concentrations is a strong disinfectant and can be a dangerous health hazard.

Cidex and Metricide - without the activator (dispose of that) - are single digit solutions. The Cidex I purchase is a 2.6% solution of glutaraldehyde. I purchase it at university stores as I'm an employee.

Purposely over dosing kills algae, some liverworts, and some plants such as vals.

The MSDS sheet for Seachem Flourish Excel no longer lists the percentage of glutaraldehyde and they claim their product is a special isomer of it. Chemists disagree with them. My recolection of the old MSDS was 2.4% but I failed to keep a copy of the sheet so I can't prove that. I use Cidex 2.6% glutaraldehyde in the same dosages suggested for Excel and have had no issues.

Azoo is now marketing a 1.6% solution of glutaraldehyde as Carbon Plus.

Either Cidex or Metricide will be available, perhaps by order only, from any company that supplies medical or dental facilities. It should cost $10. - $20. a gallon. The Cidex packaging recently changed and it costs me $12.56 for 4.7 liters.
Neither is available in Europe. Glutaraldehyde was banned there in the 90's.

Do some research on your own and make your own decisions about using a substitute product.

Here is a link to one, of many, threads about glutaraldehyde.
http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/fertilizing/74998-information-about-glutaraldehyde.html

xVitox

Daphnia Wrangler
Feb 16, 2010
Downingtown, Pa
Cidex or Metricide 14 are the two most common solutions. Before we get arguments started, I'm not going to talk about making your own out of material from ampules. Glutaraldehyde at stronger concentrations is a strong disinfectant and can be a dangerous health hazard.

Cidex and Metricide - without the activator (dispose of that) - are single digit solutions. The Cidex I purchase is a 2.6% solution of glutaraldehyde. I purchase it at university stores as I'm an employee.

Purposely over dosing kills algae, some liverworts, and some plants such as vals.

The MSDS sheet for Seachem Flourish Excel no longer lists the percentage of glutaraldehyde and they claim their product is a special isomer of it. Chemists disagree with them. My recolection of the old MSDS was 2.4% but I failed to keep a copy of the sheet so I can't prove that. I use Cidex 2.6% glutaraldehyde in the same dosages suggested for Excel and have had no issues.

Azoo is now marketing a 1.6% solution of glutaraldehyde as Carbon Plus.

Either Cidex or Metricide will be available, perhaps by order only, from any company that supplies medical or dental facilities. It should cost $10. - $20. a gallon. The Cidex packaging recently changed and it costs me $12.56 for 4.7 liters.
Neither is available in Europe. Glutaraldehyde was banned there in the 90's.

Do some research on your own and make your own decisions about using a substitute product.

Here is a link to one, of many, threads about glutaraldehyde.
http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/fertilizing/74998-information-about-glutaraldehyde.html
I think I will be contacting the my professors about that in that case. We can do an NMR on some solution in that case to find the configuration of the molecule.

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
Have them compare 'Polycycloglutaracetal' with Glutaraldehyde.

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
I would love to hear what they have to say about Seachem's 'trade secret.'
No one really knows what a polymerized isomer of glutaraldehyde really is...lol.
I suppose this subject has been beaten to death, though.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store