DIY Frozen Fish Food

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

lousybreed

Aquaria Central Site Controller
Sep 7, 2004
Bay Area, CA
Another tip for anyone considering making this stuff: It was stated before but only feed this once a day. It is protien and veggie rich but there isn't any carbs in it. Fish food has carbs in it to give it a more ballanced meal. My other suggestion is don't feed it less than once a day either, its too good! I have noticed zero issues with my water quality, I was worried at first because of how much nutrients it has. It doesn't stick around long enough to pollute the water!

I also feel kinda bad because now I know what a fully pearl gourami looks like! They never got that full with flake, pellet, or even frozen brine shimp and bloodworms! Hopefully there will be a massive growth spurt!

Last edited:

lousybreed

Aquaria Central Site Controller
Sep 7, 2004
Bay Area, CA
Ok, this is the last post for me....

I have been feeding this for a week and I have to say this is the single best thing I have done for my fish. Again, I would suggest that if you really care about your fish to make this stuff. The fish are more active, WAAAAAAY more colorful and they are starting to bulk up.

The best part is that I have had no water quality issues. Later.

AEWHistory

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
Trenton, NJ
i have no heart for diy food...... already feel sick for thinking about it.
Hmmm, I don't think there's any heart in this recipe, so I wouldn't worry about not having any...... errrr..... was that not what you meant?

Yea, my wife thinks my humor stinks too! :headbang2:

But seriously, this sounds like a fantastic way to save some money and stretch some good value ingredients. I know this probably seems like a silly question, but since I've never used anything gelatin-based besides Jello, does one buy gelatin at the supermarket? Also, I was reading an aquarium book recently and the author mentioned a substance used as a coagulant; I since it was something like gama, agma, or crap I forget. I'll find the quote if I can. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Thanks!

hisgirl

Registered Member
Jul 25, 2009
author mentioned a substance used as a coagulant; I since it was something like gama, agma, or crap I forget. I'll find the quote if I can. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Thanks!

The coagulant you are looking for is called Agar Agar. I have no idea exactly what it is, but it does not have bone marrow in it like gelatin does. (and I am not sure that the amount of bone marrow in gelatin is going to make much difference anyway)

fishycat

needs more wiggle.
Dec 9, 2009
Hawaii
Hmmm, I don't think there's any heart in this recipe, so I wouldn't worry about not having any...... errrr..... was that not what you meant?

Yea, my wife thinks my humor stinks too! :headbang2:

But seriously, this sounds like a fantastic way to save some money and stretch some good value ingredients. I know this probably seems like a silly question, but since I've never used anything gelatin-based besides Jello, does one buy gelatin at the supermarket? Also, I was reading an aquarium book recently and the author mentioned a substance used as a coagulant; I since it was something like gama, agma, or crap I forget. I'll find the quote if I can. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Thanks!
You can find unflavored gelatin in the baking aisle of supermarkets (next to the jell-o). Knox is the popular brand.

Agar-agar is plant based ( seaweed) coagulant used extensively in a lot of asian cooking (especially Japanese desserts). It has a firmer texture at room temp than gelatin, so that may need to be considered. You can find agar in powder or "stick" form.

LiveMermaid07

Bloody Mary. As in, hand me one.
Jul 7, 2009
Lost & Confused
Real Name
Can't Remember...
["Oh setting up an aquarium is cheap, it won't cost more than a couple hundred bucks...." ]

*snort* lmao!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store