Diy gel food recipe for Plecos?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

terror

AC Members
May 23, 1999
Manila, Philippines
Hi,

anybody here has a DIY gel food recipe that your plecos really love?
i tried doing one with Peas, Zuchini, Squash and garlic.

my plecos did take it. but i find that they still go crazy for Repashy super green more than my DIY gel food. can't find repashy super green here anymore
:(

was thinking if anyone has a good recipe which your plecos go crazy over.

thanks.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Ah. Bummer. I've not made other gel foods, so can't offer more. You should be able to feed the squash, potatoes, and other veg whole, as well. Any reason you don't want to go that route?

Chaucer Ingram

AC Members
Jan 20, 2019
Jeez, now I feel like a bad fish father for not feeding fancy. I've been feeding my plecos Fluval Bug Bites. They've been in my water for well over 2-years, they're active and growing. Am I missing something?224365

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Well, when I kept young discus I made homemade foods of a few types. Seafood (lots shrimp, clams + scallops, etc) + veggies like peas, spinach, green beans, romaine. The shrimp acts as a binder to glue everything together. Not exactly a gel...I have read of people using agar to solidify those foods too. I currently use Repashy Soylent Green for my sewellia (a kind of hillstream loach) but my L-144 pleco likes it too.

What type is your pleco? It's hard to tell...a female of some species judging by "her" belly girth. I'm gong to guess a BN albino pleco...is that right?

terror

AC Members
May 23, 1999
Manila, Philippines
thanks :) I do feed cucumber, squash , zuchini , melon rind, and other veggies too :)
but i'Ve read repashy can stay in the water for a long time without spoiling and messing up the water?
also my plecos seem to love it much more than the other veggies, i love seeing them go wild eating it.

i've tried DIY gel food , they do eat it but not as much as they love the repashy super green/bottom scratcher mix.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store