DIY Lighting, Pendants, MH's

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

biglittlehoss

AC Members
May 10, 2006
Indiana
I have been looking at the outrageously expensive aquarium lighting options. I ended up buying an orbit extreme with 260 watts total from ebay and have purchased moonlights separate that are on a microprocessor that allows the lights to mimic the actual lunar cycle. I am, however, considering the metal halides. Really like the aqualight pro, but geez. I really cannot afford that.

I am looking for a cheaper, yet efficient way to make these myself. I have issues with lights sitting on top of the glass. A pain in the you know what to clean, etc., etc.. I am seriously considering pendant lighting, so not only do I want cheaper, efficiency, but also they need to look good since tank is in living room. I don't mind painting something and fixing it up to make it look good, so does not need to look good right off the bat.

I have got pendant lighting above my kitchen penisula, and they take a 150 watt bulb max. So I would like to do something like that, but of course more wattage. Has any one gone to Lowe's, Home Depot, etc. for this type of thing. I know there is the Flournex bulbs, and grow lights what about them, can they be used? Is the spectrum ok?

I would like to get more corals in my tank, so this is one of the considerations for the lighting, but as you can see I am not sure as to what to do, and the expense is over my head. Also, I do not want a big bulky hood on my tanks, just too much for me. Like to be able to just get right in there and do what I need to do. Any help would be most appreciated.

Most of what I have talked about is for the saltwater tank, but the freshwater needs better lighting as well. I am trying to grow plants in it, and they just don't do too good right now. Thank you. My brain is getting fried from looking at so much stuff. :read:

My tanks are:

Saltwater
72 gallon bowfront
live rock 25 lbs.
live sand about 3 inches
yellow tang
blackbelly trigger
2 pajama cardinals
2 tomato clowns
green brittle star
emerald crab (plan to get a couple more)
Mexican crab
few small crabs
growing small colony of green mushrooms
1 blue metallic mushroom
1 leather coral
small colony of brown with greenish/pinkish center zoanthids
red sea lettuce
1 mangrove
caulerpa

Freshwater
2 silver dollars
1 spotted gourami
fancy tailed gold fish, but not a gold fish?!? Can't remember!
1 Rainbow shark
Pleco
Lace Java Fern
Teardrop Rotala
Anubias Barter
Hornwort
red/green Ludwigia
Lloydiella

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store