DIY RUGF

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

C98Hall

AC Members
Oct 3, 2006
I have a ~30 gallon hex tank (10 inches a side and about 24 inches deep). It is currently empty, no substrate or anything. I have an AC100 filter on it, but I am afraid there is not enough circulation at the bottom, so while it is empty I am going to put in an RUGF. I was thinking about using 1/2" PVC pipe and making my own. I was going to put some eggcrate with window screen over it to keep the gravel up, but my Lowe's does not carry the eggcrate material.

Is there something else I can use in place of the eggcrate, or should I just skip it and bury the pipes in the gravel? I am planning on drilling holes horizontally on the pipes for water to flow sideways. I have attached a TERRIBLE rough drawing of the plans.

Another option is just to buy a hexagonal UGF plate. Any thoughts?

Attachments

luckydud13

Did you hear that?
Jun 20, 2008
Charlotte, NC
please don't use window screen. I put some in my tank hoping to make a arch but it caused the death of countless inhabitants

C98Hall

AC Members
Oct 3, 2006
The window screen would be under the gravel, between the gravel and the eggcrate.

luckydud13

Did you hear that?
Jun 20, 2008
Charlotte, NC
The hell if I know, whatever my mom used for gardening. This was new though, so don't think it was something she did.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store