Do bristlenoses need need wood?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
BN only eat Veggys

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
gotta disagree Jessica....have seen all of mine, over 30 yrs munch on earthworm pellets...maybe it is in the filler as in other foods that make them go for it. Veggie for sure as a mainstay, but feel they can be Omni as most other fish are.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
I've certainly seen Ancistrus go after various pellets, flakes, even frozen bloodworms and such...I wouldn't say that just because your particular BN was comically uninterested that they are then strict vegetarians. And keep in mind that even algae wafers (probably like the one yours devoured) have fillers that are NOT from plant matter.

But as Rb said veggies are the best first option.

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
I've certainly seen Ancistrus go after various pellets, flakes, even frozen bloodworms and such...I wouldn't say that just because your particular BN was comically uninterested that they are then strict vegetarians. And keep in mind that even algae wafers (probably like the one yours devoured) have fillers that are NOT from plant matter.

But as Rb said veggies are the best first option.
Mine LOVE freezedried blackworms!

tiger oscar

Mr.Bushynose pleco
Jul 5, 2013
Alberta,Canada
Real Name
You will never know
Thanks guys.So you wouldn't really need wood for bristlenoses?

tiger oscar

Mr.Bushynose pleco
Jul 5, 2013
Alberta,Canada
Real Name
You will never know
Thanks for everything guys!:lol2::lol2::lol::lol::headbang2::headbang2::headbang2::headbang2::nutkick::nutkick::nutkick::nutkick:

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
In my view, wood is essential for Ancistrus species (common Bristlenose). It is thought that elements in bogwood, particularly lignin, may form an essential part of Bristlenose diet (according to Julian Dignall, owner of Planet Catfish). They are omnivorous, but primarily vegetarian. The very long gut is indicative of vegetarian fish. I would certainly have a couple chunks of bogwood in the tank. The lovely dark brown Malaysian Driftwood available in many stores is ideal because it often has tunnels and crevices, and you can provide an ideal environment for this fish. Their habitat whether flowing rivers or flooded forest is almost certain to be full of chunks of wood.

Byron.

tiger oscar

Mr.Bushynose pleco
Jul 5, 2013
Alberta,Canada
Real Name
You will never know
Also my bristlenose has been living for 5 months so far thanks for everything guys!I officially end this thread!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store