Do daphnia smell bad??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ppetropulo

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Colorado
I'm considering starting a small colony, but first I wan't to find out exactly how bad their water is going to get. Since theirs no filter, and its a stagnant water source, how much smell can I worry about? They would probably be in a REALLY big jar btw, because the lid would keep unwanted insects and stuff getting in. I don't know if that would help, but let me know what you've experienced or heard. Thanks!

digitalphrage

oh god how did this get here i am n
I keep my daphnia/green water/copepod culture well-aerated in a fairly large 2 gallon pickle jar. For all intents and purposes, there's no noticeable odor. The only time it "stinks" is when I do a partial water change and really stir up the muck at the bottom of the jar, and even that dissipates pretty rapidly. For lack of a better description, it's a bit like a fart -- it can smell pretty awful for a few minutes, but the odor goes away quickly.

kenjivaj

AC Members
Mar 1, 2012
Fresno, CA
Real Name
xue
I don't like the rice flower. The rice is hard to disolved. When your get just mix it in a separate bottle mix. Just use the floating part. Not the rice part.

Do not overfeed daphnia or they will die from pollution.

My daphnia grows outside only. It's hard for me to grow them in tanks.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store